Camera Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sterling

New
Reaction score
I am looking for a camera to buy my hubby for x-mas and I have no idea what to get. I don't think we need a digital so I guess that's a start and I didn't want to spend more than 300 if possible. Can anyone suggest a good camera in that price range or are there any? He has been diving for almost 20 years and would like to be able to show me pictures of what he sees when he is on a dive. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

To get decent pictures it is critical that you have an external strobe, so that the light reaches the subject from an angle. Without that you will not be able to make any decent pictures (they'll all have a lot of "snow") and you would be better off renting a system avery once in a while.

Another consideration is whether your hubby will want to do macro photography. Macro photo's of small critters (0.5 - 4") are some of the prettiest photo's one can make, and if visibility is poor they may be the only photo's you can make. Even if you don't buy one now, I would recommend a system that has the capability to add a macro lens later (next birthday...).

Some systems worth looking at are:
- Ikelite Auto 35. Adorama sells this system complete with external strobe and macro kit for $295. Ikelite is a very well known manufacturer of UW camera housing and strobes.

- Sealife Reefmaster RC Pro. Sealife is a relative newcomer in the industry, but they seem to be doing well. The system should also be around $300 including strobe and macro lens.

- Sea & Sea MX-10. This is a great beginner's camera from a company that has been making UW camera's for many decades, but a little pricier (camera and strobe are probably $375 and macro lens around $100). They also have an MX5, but this has no macro lens option and for that reason I'ld recommend against it.

Personally I use a Sea & Sea MotorMarine II with external strobe, macro lens and wide angle lens (probably $1,200 or so) and am very content with this system. I've been taking UW pictures for 7 years now and while it isn't always easy and sometimes only half of them come out, it is very gratifying and it is great to be able to share your dive with others that way.

Good luck.
RB

buttermanr has pretty much covered your options with your limited budget.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom