Camera suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amajamar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Any suggestions for decent camera setups for around $500?

I have an Olympus 720SW and was considering the housing for it, but maybe an entirely dedicated camera is a better idea.

Any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance!

amajamar

You can probably get yourself a Canon A630 or a640 with Canon housing for that.

One cool thing is the ability to shoot RAW with a software hack - on the downside, the port is an oval shape, and a housing with a round port (Ikelite) will push it to about $550 - $600.

Seeing as the Canon G9 was just announced, I'm sure a bunch of run out G7's will appear also, and will probably manage to pop in at about that price with a housing.

I have also heard of a new Fuji 12mp model soon to be released for $400 with housing. Not sure of the dates or details - I read it in the MOF XXX thread somewhere... It actually sounds like a real nice camera...

My thoughts on those two models are go with something else :wink:

I'd vote one of the Canons, too.

Have you cruised the Pink Link in my signature (it goes to the Sticky at the top of the UW Photo area)? Inside you will find great starting information about your very question including links to discussions and samples of photos from the various models.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom