Camera Rig Grab Lanyard - Where to Attach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daebado

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First off, I know I have seen some of this information in here before but I have been doing searches until I'm blue in the face and cannot seem to come up with anything!

Looking at getting a lanyard-type handle for handing my rig up to the boat crew when I'm in the water and have seen a number of different ways to attach it. Wondering how you guys do it. Is one way better than another? I've heard the ball-ends on float arms can come off if too much weight is applied to them so other than attaching to the arms, what points do you tie off to? Pics would be especially awesome!

I've heard the ball-ends on float arms can come off if too much weight is applied to them
?? Where did you hear this?

I've heard the ball-ends on float arms can come off if too much weight is applied to them
Perhaps on a low quality, knock off float arm one may acquire from questionable sites that start with ali and end with express.

Possibly from me... I had it happen. I now attach my lanyard to the girder style arms right off the camera. I unclip one end during the dive if I need to spread the arms out.

IMG_1353.jpg

I typically have a lanyard, from Cetecea, which can be quickly attached to one of my housing's handles or strobe arms -- either from the "phone cord" portion of the widget; or from the shorter loop, seen in the photo; and, then, to any rope, offered from a boat. They are lightweight, versatile, and surprising durable . . .

Attachments

• IMG_2195.JPG
    IMG_2195.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2194.JPG
    IMG_2194.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 95

Perhaps on a low quality, knock off float arm one may acquire from questionable sites that start with ali and end with express.

Possibly from me... I had it happen. I now attach my lanyard to the girder style arms right off the camera. I unclip one end during the dive if I need to spread the arms out.

I have heard it from multiple sources - yes, I'm sure from Dan but also probably in reviews of the knock-offs as well... I can't be sure as I've been doing a lot of research into float-arms as well (on Amazon mainly. I don't shop on Ali). Mine are from Kit Dive which, on the surface sounds like a good ol' US company but in fact, no. Turns out they are in Hong Kong.

Anyway, where I heard that little tidbit from aside, I am hoping to get more ideas as to what others are using for attachment points for their lanyards (as in the one in Dan's pics above).

I attach mine using a small d-ring (available at a marine store) attached to the top of each handle with line.

Attachments

• E4F121E3-D6DC-4209-85E4-D9DAC494538E.jpeg
    E4F121E3-D6DC-4209-85E4-D9DAC494538E.jpeg
    23.7 KB · Views: 150
I've attached mine to the back of the tray handles here:
img_20200219_180821-jpg.569012.jpg

because I separate in the middle and clip each to a chest d-ring when I'm not using the camera. I've also found a double ender between the arms works fairly well for handing up a "smaller" rig

I've attached mine to the back of the tray handles...
because I separate in the middle and clip each to a chest d-ring when I'm not using the camera. I've also found a double ender between the arms works fairly well for handing up a "smaller" rig

Saxman, I like the idea of making that strap perform double duty! That would eliminate having the extra strap for securing to your body. Very nice!

Exactly how are you attaching them to your tray handles? I've got that same trigger you have and don't want anything to interfere with it. Do you have any pics that show this better?

That would eliminate having the extra strap for securing to your body.

So I use these two that I attach to my d-rings for "transit" and one of the telephone cord style ones that stays attached to my crotch strap d-ring whenever I'm in the water.

As for how they attach to the tray handles, the tray handles I have have a little attach point on the back of the handles.
IMG_20200429_102654.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom