Camera Purchase Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveP

New
Reaction score
I am new to this forum and would like some advice on purchasing an entry-level camera. Any recommendations?

Hi Steve and welcome. Take a look at the Ikelite Auto 35, from what I have seen, it is one of the better entry level cameras. In any case, get a camera that will accept an external strobe and some form of closeup/macro lens. If at all possible go ahead and get a strobe with your camera. They are usally a little cheaper in a combo and you WILL end up with one if you do any uw photography. I use a MX-10. It makes a good mid level camera but is somewhat more expensive. Don't bother with the MX-5...it does not offer an external strobe or any type of closeup lens.

Some great answers already, Steve!

But I have a question for YOU. :wink:

What exactly do you want from a camera?

Do you want "point and shoot" or an "enty level" unit that you can upgrade/add to as you progress? Do you want something that is housed, or a stand alone?

Once you answer these types of questions, you can start narrowing down the answers.

Just moi making trouble again.

~SubMariner~

I am an entry level guy with some experience on land
photography. I have had SLR cameras and can appreciate the need for good equipment. The Sea and Sea, SeaLife and Ikolite entry and mid-level cameras appear to be in my price
range, but am concerned about upward expandability. However, I would like to temper my ambition with the knowledge that I will try to be a regular by not frequent diver. If good pictures can be taken with the above cameras, my only question is which one. Rodale's has a review at http://www.scubadiving.com/photo/gear/8cameras/#lens.html that recommends the Reefmaster RC, but it appears that the optics, shutte speeds, etc. are essentially the same. True?

Is it worth it at this point to "step up" to a Sea and Sea MX-10 or MMII-EX?

Thanks for your prompt replies to my post.

Steve,
As you might imagine, taking photos underwater is a good bit different than on land. The bouyancy control required and the difficulty of framing shots make uw photography a challange, add focusing and F-stops to the mix all at once and you have a real challange. The simple point and shoot cameras do a remarkable job as can be seem from Ricks pictures. I started with a MX-10 and while I have had good luck with it, I think if I had to do it over, I would get one of the point and shoot varity discribed in the earlier posts, learn about uw photography, and then make up my mind if I wanted to upgrade. At $350 or so for a camera and strobe, it's not that expensive and there are always people looking for these used. The learning cost is a lot lower and the price for making a "O" ring mistake and flooding a camera is a lot less. I have had no first hand knowledge, but I have heard rumors that the Reef Masters are prone to flooding. That is hearsay so take it for what it's worth. Here are some photos that I took with an MX-10/YS-40 strobe and it's standard lens. http://www.imageharbor.com/?location=step2&cata=Bonaire&user=herman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom