Camera Packages on Ebay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vtminter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone ever bought a Digital SLR camera package from an Ebay store? There are a few of them and the prices just seem too good to be true. Because of this I am inclined to believe that they are too good to be true. I don't even know why a company would sell a bundle for so cheap.

I am just wondering if anyone on here has experience buying something like this.

Here is a link for an example of what I am talking about.

NEW Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera Body +4 Lenses +12GB - eBay (item 170445138678 end time Mar-13-10 13:11:25 PST)

I bought a P/S package on e-bay and it was the 'real deal'. It ended up coming from Cameta Camera in Amittyville N.Y. Got a great deal on a Canon SD 980 IS, two extra batteries and all this other stuff for a great price. Try going right to Cametas' site and see what they have. The people you're looking at have a really good trader rating on e-bay and that's a kick ass deal. I say 'Go for it !!'.

It's a good but not great deal IMO and isn't outside of the realm of normal. Do note however that there is one thing clearly missing from the eBay ad, warranty on the body. That's because it will be a grey market camera that doesn't have one.

Refurb D90 (which would have a warranty) $750, grey market for about the same price or less. Crappy lens #1 $65. Crappy lens #2 $120. Assorted pile of stuff ~$150. So maybe just a touch better deal than you could get from a reputable vendor like B&H or Adorama.

INKD90B Nikon D90 12.3 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Kit. with 8GB SD Memory Card, Spare EN-EL3e Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery, Slinger Camera Bag, USB 2.0 SD Card Reader,Professional Lens Cleaning Kit

Non-refurb, non-grey market camera with 8GB SD, cleaning kit, bag, card reader and spare battery for $982.

INKD90KB Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera/ Lens Kit, with AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens, 8GB SD Memory Card,Spare EN-EL3e Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery, Slinger Camera Bag, USB 2.0 SD Card Reader, Professional Lens Cleaning Kit

The above with a decent but not great lens for $1147. Full warranty on both.

Yeah, the body new from Adorama is $780, so you are paying another $300 for stuff you may not want. I avoid packages like the plague, even from reputable places. The tripods bags, filters, etc. are all junk you will end up replacing sooner rather than later. And why anyone would put lenses like that on a nice body is beyond me.

BTW, memory cards are often seriously overpriced by photo and B&M stores. Go check out newegg.com or mwave.com before you buy something.

Actually, Cameta is quite good, and quite reputable. Their prices are mostly identical to B&H or Canoga here in LA. I would avoid buying any kit that has things like filters, or cleaning cloths or other crap. Just buy the camera and lens, and get the rest of the stuff as you need it. As for the OP's original kit, I would get the body and lens you want from someone reputable; that price is considerably high for what you get

Bill

Bill hit it right on the nose...for what you are getting, its quite high. Costco actually has some great D90 kits quite often online as well and they actually include Nikon lenses.

I have seen many customers get burned from these online kits and grey market deals....its usually not worth a couple bucks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom