Camera/housing questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nwcid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This summer I bought a used Aquatica D70 housing with 8" dome port complete with camera, strobes, WA lens, ect. I have used it on a few dives and then my camera had the card error so I have tried the fixes I found online and still have a "dead" camera.

Now I have a couple of choices of what to do.

First is buy a "new" (used) Nikon D70s for about $300 put it in the housing and continue life.

Second is to sell the housing and strobes for what I can and start over.

Third is a bit more complicated. I currently own a Nikon D90 and have found a few Ikelite housings for sale with 60mm macro port for under $1500. Then I could use my macro lens. Are the port mounts between Aquatic and Ikelite the same? Would I be able to use my 8" dome on the new housing so I could use my WA lens? As much as I like my Aquatica I really don't have $2500 laying around for one. I could take my strobes off and using them with this set up. Will my current strobe cables work with the new housing?

Just trying to figure out if I am better off just getting a replacement D70s or spend that money toward a new housing. Would my D70 housing be worth anything if I did decide to get a new housing for my D90?

Thanks this is all fairly new to me.

Options

Sell the D70 housing and use what you get for it towards a new housing, but expand your search to other manufacturers (Sea&Sea, Nauticam etc) for your D90

Ports between different housing manufacturers are NOT interchangeable (unfortunately)

If you have a Nikonos connection for your strobes as is probably the only "industry standard" between all manufacturers, then there should not be a problem using your strobes with other makes of housing.

I second the suggestion for moving to your D90. I have a Nexus housing for the D90 for sale in your price range, $1100 for the housing plus many extras. You could buy that housing plus buy a new macro port and be in the $1500 range. Here is a link or you can search for Nexus D90 and find it. This housing is setup for optical fiber triggered strobes. It can be setup for Nikonos strobe connections by sending the housing in and having it done. You can email me at kcmayes1@hotmail.com for more information.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...xus-housing-nikon-d90-camera-plus-extras.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom