camera housing push buttons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

np251

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone

great site, some great info...

...anyway, I am currently trying to assemble the relevant info regarding making a waterproof digital camera housing. Having read all of the available threads on various forums, the area presenting most difficulty is in the manufacture of waterproof push buttons for activating the various required controls on the camera. The most complex control appears to be the common thumb-wheel control used to switch the camera between various modes.

If anyone has got a solid way of making these, or anywhere you can buy them, I think a lot of people will be extremely grateful for this info.

I was actually considering reverse engineering some from a disposable camera to see how easy they would be to make. If anyone has a pro-housing rig or a diy'er, how about some close up pics of the controls to see if we can do a bit of reverse engineering and come up with something workable.

If I ever get round to this, I will post as detailed plans/ ideas as soon as possible.

Cheers

Neil

Neil,

I haven't tried this myself, but perhaps the following document may be of use to you:

http://www.digitaldiver.net/lib_docs/PT--015_service.pdf

This is a guide to servicing an Oly housing, with detailed photos. I think the mode dial design that is shown there will get you on the right track. It looks very simple, but of course machining small parts will be fun...

Cheers (and good luck),

Andrew

Man, this is a great question/project. I'm putting together a plan of attack on a housing for my mini-8 digicam. If I have to, I'll just make a simple container and start recording before sealing it up. Sure would be cool to have some control of modes, rec/stop, etc. Ikelite sells the controls for their housings, but I can only find rotating lever-type ones. I'd love to figure out how to make a push-button type to activate the mode button.

WD

cheers for the replies

I have a pretty ambitious electronic control system and seperate angled LCD all worked out for the clear perspex housing. One of the Sony cams i think. Doing some 50watt halogen lamps to attach as well as a 50 watt canister for non-video dives.

The attached pdf was great- pretty much confirmed my idea of making buttons using nylon/ pvc shafts routed to take a double o-ring. Simple and it works.

cheers for the input guys

Back
Top Bottom