camera help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dementid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i am needing to replace my current camera since it is having problems plus can not get a housing for this model. my question is i am wanting a fairly good digital one that can be used topside as well as bottom, what would be a good one to go with and don't have a lot of knowledge about photography and equip?

After much research and recommendations, I just bought a canon s70. It is very simple to use because it allows for automatic adjustments of both shutter and aperture but you can also set it for manual down the line when you need the flexibility. One of the things that makes this camera stand out is that it's zomm goes from 28-100mm which is considered wide angle. This is great for macro shots. I forgot to mention it is a 7.1 megapixel camera. Finally, I just bought mine new for $230 off of ebay, albeit, it took a little time to snag the best possible deal. It can probably be had extremely easily for $300. The housing runs around $170-200 depending on where you buy it.

All in all, it's a very nice camera for both on top and underwater. You might also notice that the s80 just came out. And the reason I decided on the s70 was not only the big price difference, but also the fact that the s70 has RAW capabilities that the s80 doesn't.

Hope this helps.

what type of raw capabilities?

By RAW, I'm talking about the image file that is produced by the camera that contains every pixels' data. JPEG on the other hand, compresses the image by losing some of the data where color are similar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom