Camera from stricken diver found?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbg40

Contributor
Reaction score
Last weekend I had the pleasure of diving on the Seeker to the wreck of the U853 off of Block Island. During one of the dives, a diver brought up a camera found about 30 feet off the wreck. It was covered with growth and had obviously been down for some time. Conversation led to an incident where a diver had died on the wreck last August (as memory serves) and had lost his camera upon ascent. The camera was never recovered.....possibly, until last Sunday. Does anyone that was on the wreck, or the Seeker that day know the status of the camera? I would hope that whoever is in posession of it, has contacted the proper authorities, and has given the camera to them for further investigation. If for no other reason, than to return it to the family of the lost diver. I would hope to see it go home where it belongs. Any one???

Kray_Z:
out of curiosity.. was it video or still?

I did'nt get a good look at it, as it was placed into a bag, and put out of the way. The quick look I did get looked like vid. Do you know anything about it??

Yes it was video.
i dont know what has hapened to it.
I know that the LDS the guy used was able to give a discription of the guys cam. that matches that of the one found.
Last i kow the diver who brought the camera up took it home.
i know nothing more than that
i hope anyone who needs to see this does

Do you have any idea where the diver is from? there were a lot of out of state divers on the boat that day. I sure as hell hope he didn't take it home as some sort of trophy. Is there any way to find out? Or who to notify? It's not a wreck trinket, it belongs to some family, and should be returned.

dbg40:
Do you have any idea where the diver is from? there were a lot of out of state divers on the boat that day. I sure as hell hope he didn't take it home as some sort of trophy. Is there any way to find out? Or who to notify? It's not a wreck trinket, it belongs to some family, and should be returned.

I don't know anything about it because, as you know, I wasn't there. I would hope that once the camera located AGAIN it will be returned out of respect for the family. Not the kind of trophy I would want sitting in my living room.

ctmax:
I don't know anything about it because, as you know, I wasn't there. I would hope that once the camera located AGAIN it will be returned out of respect for the family. Not the kind of trophy I would want sitting in my living room.

EXACTLY.. I don't get that mentality, I wonder if the local authorities could check into it, and request that it be returned?

dbg40:
EXACTLY.. I don't get that mentality, I wonder if the local authorities could check into it, and request that it be returned?

I'm sure they can if there is an ongoing investigation

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom