Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Canon S100/WP-DC43

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Olympus TG-2 iHS/PT-053

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jboothe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am just starting out in still photography and I am trying to decide on a good outfit to get the best quality for stills and some video. I have always shot Canon topside so I had narrowed down my choices to a Canon G12/WP-DC34 or a S100/WP-DC43. But now I have read some of the reviews on the new Olympus TG-2 iHS/PT-053 and the results I have seen look really good. I can get any one of the three for about the same price.

Does it really matter? Will all three take great pictures for a beginning underwater photog? I do plan to get a strobe for it later on and I do want a camera that I can also use on land for vacation/snapshots.

If you really have to get one of those 3 cameras get the S100 is proven and there is a lot of info around as well as good deal
G12 is a waste of time and the olympus will not get you the same quality

Why do you think a G12 is a waste of time? Just wondering. A lot of people I know have them and are very happy with the results (images only, not video).

I would check the reviews of the three cameras on Digital Photography Review. I would also strongly suggest that you look at Backscatter's website and Reef Photo and Video's website to see what they have to say about the three cameras.

I am familiar with the Canon G11. I come from an SLR and DSLR background. I was pleasantly surprised by the Canon G11 which handles quite a bit like an SLR. Underwater it suffers from a slow response because one focuses in live view. Also the focus is not precise because the focus pretty much latches onto the outline of the subject. I think all three of your choices would suffer from that problem.

The Olympus has a the 4/3 sensor size which is a marked advantage and interchangeable lenses.

I am now shooting with a D7000 underwater (in a housing, of course). The fast and precise focus makes a big difference. Of course, you pay a lot more for such a thing and the setup is quite large. So such a rig is not something that most people would want to fool with.

Three suggestions:

Get a metal housing if you can afford it. The functionality of a metal housing is really good.
By all means get a strobe. The long wave lengths of light are absorbed in the water column. Below 60', you are in a blue-green world. If you want "natural" colors, you need a strobe.
Get a system that allows you to take close up or macro shots. There are all sorts of interesting, exotic, and bizarre critters of very small size that make great camera subjects.

Why do you think a G12 is a waste of time? Just wondering. A lot of people I know have them and are very happy with the results (images only, not video).
This camera does not take wide angle lenses, the new G15 has some capabilities but is quite limited. On land the G12 is a fine camera underwater an unflexible device that is good for close up and macro and that is pretty much all.

Ah, from that POV I agree. My G12 shooting friends are all about macro.

Thanks,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom