Question Camera choice/new/used?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the tg-6 and really enjoy it.
Its a very very easy camera to use.
A friend flooded is DSLR on a recent trip and had to borrow a tg-6 from the dive center.
The next day he was sending me stunning photographs. Yeah, he knows how to use a camera but the tg-6 is also very easy to use.
Literally point n shoot - so long as you have sufficient light.

Your only hetacomb will be the lack of detailed-resolution compared to photographs taken with DSLRs.
The benefit of this hetacomb is ease of use, price, and size (compact).
I know if I got the TG6 I would get the Olympus housing too. What I was wondering is if the size for control buttons knobs etc, are any larger, easier to use with gloves on for cold water diving on other setups. I also know SLR Digital Cameras usually are a significant increase in price. Seems what has been said, the TG6 is such you can get set up before diving. Is it like just switch modes, micro, macro, close up? The automatic the camera can do a lot without fiddling. The past film uw camera, all I did was gauge distance and with speed fixed unadjustable, set apature. The TTL strobe would have a green glow if it sensed that lighting was correct. Maybe I will see if in a shop I bring my gloves and try out a floor model housing? Some nerve problems for part of one hand, that fine dexterity is an issue. Looking at all the closely spaced buttons made me think might not be easy?

Jeff, the TG-6 is great, and as you surmise, you can leave the settings pretty much alone and switch between focus modes with the large knob on top. you can also preset function combinations and use the same dial to choose them. A TG-6 with a small strobe, is a versatile rig that’s easy to pack and dive and gives fine images. And as to the film days, the camera and flash talk to each other and you have a lot more than 36 shots per dive.

I started with TG5 and bought a TG6 a few months ago. Just went to Cozumel this past week and used it for the first time. Very similar to TG5 except you can now do macro video in A mode, and easier to switch between modes. Both have custom modes that you can save to easily switch between during a dive. That being said, I am getting more into uw photography and am wishing I had made the leap to mirrorless or dslr. The TGs are great, but I would like to be able to make large prints. Imo the image sensor on the TGs isn't large enough for professional looking large prints. Of course, my skills aren't really professional either.

I started with TG5 and bought a TG6 a few months ago. Just went to Cozumel this past week and used it for the first time. Very similar to TG5 except you can now do macro video in A mode, and easier to switch between modes. Both have custom modes that you can save to easily switch between during a dive. That being said, I am getting more into uw photography and am wishing I had made the leap to mirrorless or dslr. The TGs are great, but I would like to be able to make large prints. Imo the image sensor on the TGs isn't large enough for professional looking large prints. Of course, my skills aren't really professional either.
I'm right there with ya. I have aTG2, went to minipen and not very happy with the size of the housing. Considered Pen9/10 but still think housing would be to much to haul around not to mention switching from wide angle to macro. If I made a living at it, which I am far from it might be a different story. I finally settled on the TG6, have not dove with it yet.

Great info. I'm considering the TG-6 as I like to do both photography and video (but I am a novice). I also like the TG-6 can do macro in both. My curiosity is how easy/quick is it to switch photos and video?

I upgraded from the SP-350 to the S 95 a few years ago (2015), shoot mostly macro and have a couple diopters. As much as I like it, I wanted to upgrade and went with a TG-6 I got off Ebay. Used it for 10 months before my luck of using it sans housing ran out. Borrowed a TG -4, but miss the TG-6. Still using the S95, but miss the Tg-6. LOVE the macro setting.
Waiting to pull the plug and get it AND a housing. Thought there would be some good deals for Black Friday, but very disappointed. There might be one yet under my tree...

Great info. I'm considering the TG-6 as I like to do both photography and video (but I am a novice). I also like the TG-6 can do macro in both. My curiosity is how easy/quick is it to switch photos and video?
A couple of button presses, of you have a good video light you can use that for most macro photo lighting and also for video of course.

I've seen the review too.. and gosh looks like a sweet camera!
For MY needs (Which may be different than others), when underwater, I shoot macro. The EPL-10 doesn't look as good as the TG-6.
Also, on land, I shoot macro and telephoto. Not sure the EPL-10 is the best camera.. Actually will be looking at a used DSLR, just cause .. all the buttons!!! :)

I don't think you will find much difference in macro. I use a EM5 mk2 which has a viewfinder but is pretty similar. There are some restrictions in TG6 ie shutter speed control it can be done using white balance auto I think, didn't read much after that as a viewfinder and shutter control are critical for me.
They will both do excellent macro and they are small. If the money is an issue TG6 for macro is as good as many SLR's for non-pro's.
You could fit a telephoto on the EPL 10, I have a 100-400 lens I use for bird photography and that works well on my EM5.

Back
Top Bottom