Question Camera choice/new/used?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

junkyard_dawg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Been going back and forth on cameras for the last few weeks so figured I'd ask some opinions.

I'm looking to upgrade from my Canon S95. Been looking at TG-6 exclusively then looking around I can get a decent deal on used TG-5s which seem similar to the TG-6

Then....I started down the rabbit hole of TG-6 used on ebay etc.

Never purchased used camera equipment but the price savings would really help getting the PT-059 case and lights.

I've found TG-6 new for $450 and of course used varies.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I switched away from a S95 a number years ago where on a trip some people on the dive boat suggested I look into close out package deals from Olympus on a DSLR, enclosure and lens. Did my research, placed an order and the Olympus package was waiting at home when I returned.

While it's a lot more camera to drag along on a trip, image quality is vastly improved. In fact I moved from their mid-tier DSLR to their top of the line.

Perhaps not the answer you were looking for but I suggest it's a valid option to explore especially given the deep discounting on otherwise good kit.

I have the tg-6 and really enjoy it.
Its a very very easy camera to use.
A friend flooded is DSLR on a recent trip and had to borrow a tg-6 from the dive center.
The next day he was sending me stunning photographs. Yeah, he knows how to use a camera but the tg-6 is also very easy to use.
Literally point n shoot - so long as you have sufficient light.

Your only hetacomb will be the lack of detailed-resolution compared to photographs taken with DSLRs.
The benefit of this hetacomb is ease of use, price, and size (compact).

Been going back and forth on cameras for the last few weeks so figured I'd ask some opinions.

I'm looking to upgrade from my Canon S95. Been looking at TG-6 exclusively then looking around I can get a decent deal on used TG-5s which seem similar to the TG-6

Never purchased used camera equipment but the price savings would really help getting the PT-059 case and lights.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I am not sure that a TG is an upgrade to the S95. The S95 has a considerably larger (though still small) sensor, better dynamic range, full manual controls and manual strobe. The TG6 has some cool, almost gimmicky but useful settings like a microscope mode and they do seem to produce exceptional macro shots as long as you can be satisfied with a very small sensor and lack of manual control and even more limited aperture range. What about the TG do you like enough to own one, if that answer offsets the rest and only you can answer that.

James

I switched away from a S95 a number years ago where on a trip some people on the dive boat suggested I look into close out package deals from Olympus on a DSLR, enclosure and lens. Did my research, placed an order and the Olympus package was waiting at home when I returned.

While it's a lot more camera to drag along on a trip, image quality is vastly improved. In fact I moved from their mid-tier DSLR to their top of the line.

Perhaps not the answer you were looking for but I suggest it's a valid option to explore especially given the deep discounting on otherwise good kit.

I am not sure that a TG is an upgrade to the S95. The S95 has a considerably larger (though still small) sensor, better dynamic range, full manual controls and manual strobe. The TG6 has some cool, almost gimmicky but useful settings like a microscope mode and they do seem to produce exceptional macro shots as long as you can be satisfied with a very small sensor and lack of manual control and even more limited aperture range. What about the TG do you like enough to own one, if that answer offsets the rest and only you can answer that.

James
Thanks for the reply. Macro was the main selling point from my limited research. I know it's not the best but really not looking to invest in DSLR. Just looking to improve my macro shots. My S95 does have a small spot on the lens that now shows up in the photos as well. I can get another S95 in excellent shape.Would probably have to check into a macro lens to match the TG macro would be the main thing. Video is another thing I was considering but have a older Gopro for that anyway,

and....if I stick with a S95 I could also do some upgrades to my bike :)

Thanks for the reply. Macro was the main selling point from my limited research. I know it's not the best but really not looking to invest in DSLR. Just looking to improve my macro shots. My S95 does have a small spot on the lens that now shows up in the photos as well. I can get another S95 in excellent shape.Would probably have to check into a macro lens to match the TG macro would be the main thing. Video is another thing I was considering but have a older Gopro for that anyway,

and....if I stick with a S95 I could also do some upgrades to my bike :)

I'd look into enhancing your s95 before moving to a new system.
Maybe a wet (external) diopeter system.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
I've bought a used, a reconditioned and an open box PEN 2 from ebay and had zero problems with them except for the ones I caused. I interrupted the update on one and flooded the other. The last one still working fine. I just have bought an open box TG6 and a used Oly housing for it. Good luck and happy shooting on what ever you get.

?? I thought Olympus stopped making a DSLR many years ago?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom