Camera cases, and luggage advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am flying Singapore Air for the first time, from Houston to Manado. Their website was a bit unclear on carry-on baggage. The way I read it, is that you get ONE carry-on period, not a bag plus a personal item. Can anybody enlighten me with their experiences with Singapore Air. I will be flying coach.

Thanks
Mike

I am flying Singapore Air for the first time, from Houston to Manado. Their website was a bit unclear on carry-on baggage. The way I read it, is that you get ONE carry-on period, not a bag plus a personal item. Can anybody enlighten me with their experiences with Singapore Air. I will be flying coach.

Thanks
Mike

I flew Singapore Airlines this past February from Manila to Singapore with one carry-on and my u/w camera rig (camera in the housing on a strap) as a personal item and had no problems. One issue to be aware of with Singapore Airlines is that flights within Asia are considered local and have one checked bag allowance. Overseas flights into Singapore (from North America for example) have allowance for two checked bags.

I flew Singapore Airlines this past February from Manila to Singapore with one carry-on and my u/w camera rig (camera in the housing on a strap) as a personal item and had no problems. One issue to be aware of with Singapore Airlines is that flights within Asia are considered local and have one checked bag allowance. Overseas flights into Singapore (from North America for example) have allowance for two checked bags.

Any idea how big something needs to be before it is no longer a personal item. Could I get on with a carry-on and a backpack? what about a satchel for a laptop as a personal item.

Thanks

Divengolf is right on. The only thing I would add is that I carry everything delicate or expensive in my carry-on as divengolf said or in my large backpack which I also carry on. Never had a problem with this in Europe or Asia.

Another point is that as long as you are in the US the USPS flat rate boxes can eliminate a lot of the problems of reducing weight for practically nothing; I even ship my weights to and from Hawaii. You also don't have to fight with more luggage.

I pretty much do whats already been said but I also have a photo vest as you are allowed to bring a coat on. If my carry on gets weighed and they complain about it I start transfering things to my vest pockets until they realize they can't win and just let me go.

Any idea how big something needs to be before it is no longer a personal item. Could I get on with a carry-on and a backpack? what about a satchel for a laptop as a personal item.

Thanks

I'm not sure of the exact rules regarding the personal item, though I suspect a smallish backpack with a notebook computer in it won't be a problem. My camera in it's housing weighs about 8 kg was not a problem. I should add that they really didn't look too closely at my carry-on when I checked in, so that may have been a factor.

I use a Swiss-Army brand laptop backpack which has expansion and many pockets besides the main laptop pocket althought I don't dive an SLR I do use 2 strobes and a conversion lense. As others have suggested as long as it fits under the seat it is considered a personal item. I have however had to take something out an stow it in the seat back pocket to get it under the seat.

Nikon D90 Ikelite housing, 1 dome and 2 flat ports, 1 DS-125 strobe, tray, arms, spare parts go in a big Pelicase and the pelicase inside a old shabby case, weight approx. 23 Kilos
Patima Canon G11 housing, 2 ports, one Inon D2000 strobe, tray, flexarm, spare parts go in a suitcase size Pelicase and in another old, shabby case and will topped up with clothes.
Nikon D90, lenses, SB-800 strobe, teleconverter, 15'' laptop, various external disks, chargers, cables, cell phones go in a Loewepro photobackpack, weight approx. 12 Kilos
Canon G11 and other delicate objects go in my 100 pocket photographers vest, weight approx. 10 Kilos (i'm looking like a suicide bomber...)

The IATA rules say:
Carry-on baggage must be stowed in the aircraft cabin which limits baggage to a size, weight and shape to fit under a passenger seat or in a storage compartment.
Cabin baggage should have maximum length of 22 in (56 cm), width of 18 in (45 cm) and depth of 10 in (25 cm). These dimensions include wheels, handles, side pockets, etc.
Carry-on items must remain with the passenger at all times and are the responsibility of the passenger.

We have very severe carry-on luggage restrictions in Europe and it's normal to have troubles while checking in if the carry-on don't fit inside the test cage to be found on almost every European airport,
and the weight usually is restricted to 7-10 kilos.

I am to buy a new, bigger backpack/trolley as i got my D7000 camera and my photographic gear is growing and growing, but it will not fit the carry-on rules anymore...

Chris

P.S. The sense of travelling with the old, shabby cases is to camuflage the valuables inside.
The biggest error -from my point of view- while flying is to use a dive branded dive case/roller with a lot of diving stickers on it,
as this is like a big sign on it saying: EXPENSIVE DIVE GEAR AND UNDERWATER CAMERA INSIDE! STEAL ME!

I have a non descript black rolling carry-on sized (for US anyway) that happens to have the perfect inside dimensions for the 4 piece Pelican 1560 pick/pluck foam set. I pack my Nauticam 550D housing with macro port(s), Canon 100mm IS macro lens, Zen 100mm dome, dual YS-110A strobes, ULCS arms, Tokina fisheye lens, Nauticam veiwfinder, Inon 45deg viewfinder, and misc other stuff in this bag. I've never had trouble carrying it on flights, but since it's just another non descript small black rolling bag, if I'm ever forced to check it, I hope it will be somewhat stealthy. Unlike my wife who uses a nice expensive new ThinkTank rolling bag. :)

My 'personal' item is a backpack with my laptop, regulator, dive computers, Canon 60mm macro lens, and battery chargers. I tried, but I just couldn't fit the 60mm macro lens in the main photo equipment bag.

Back
Top Bottom