Camera advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Justine18

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

My names Justine and I have been diving for around 2 years. I mainly do uk diving although am currently arranging a trip to the red sea next year and saving to go round the world (which will include lots of diving) I've just qualified to go down to 35m and am enjoying going inside wrecks now!

I was looking for a bit of advice really. I'm wanting to buy a compact digital camera with underwater housing. I up to £450 to spend, but finding it all a bit mind boggling! I am prepared to spend some time learning how to use the camera but must admit I'm a bit of a point and click kind of person.

Does anyone have any recommendations of good cameras for the uk (and abroad) for that price, camera and housing together or can recommend some good websites / reviews?

Thanks very much

Justine :)

Hello,
What about the Sealife DC1400?
DC1400 | Sealife Cameras
It's my first underwater camera and I love it! It makes good photos and HD videos. There are underwater modes which make photographing easy and the camera is expandable with different flashes. In my opinion it has all what a compact underwater camera needs.

You might get more help by posting in the Underwater Photography Thread, Justine. More UK based photographer may then see your request. There are several companies that sell suitable equipment in the UK and do try to get Maria Munn's book on Underwater Photography for Compact Camera Users.
I would suggest a SeaLife Camera, but am not sure how much they are in Pounds.
Good luck.

---------- Post Merged at 07:53 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:40 AM ----------

LOL, two of us recommend the same camera and I just checked, it seems to be in your price category, although I would personally try to get the external flash too. The built in flash and included diffuser works well in close up and very clear water, but once you get going you'll want an external flash. They have a good video light available and wide angle lenses can be added too, so you have room to grow. The DC 1400 is their most recent model. You can check out their website for more info.

Thanks very much to the both of you! I'll definitely check out that camera!! Really good if I can expand on it as money allows with lenses and external flash! I'll have a look on their website! Thanks for your help! Happy diving!!

Please check out the Intova Sport thread on this site. I have used the GoPro Hero 2 and was looking at the Sartek but ran across this camera and have been very pleased. A lot of camera for the price.

I've also thought about buying the external flash because I often dive in lakes with bad visibility (the photos get awful with the internal flash, no matter what kind of camera you have). But it's too bulky and difficult to handle for a beginner like me. And it's really not cheap... maybe I'll buy it later :)

Oooh, I see you get the DC1400 in fancy pink now...

However, I would be one to recommend getting something like a Canon G15 with a canone OEM UW housing.
The Canon G series is very good, highly advanced compact cameras with RAW format capability, which means you have a lot more data to work with if you wish to get into post-processing and the OEM housings are affordable.
You should be able to get the G15 with the OEM housing for somewhere around £450.

Personally Ive been using its predecessor, the G7 for a few years and about 4000 U/W pictures and Ive been very happy with it, however Im currently in the process of upgrading to a Canon 7D system - which definetly DONT cost £450. Well, the lens ports does :eek:

Heres a few samples of the pictures Ive taken with the G7 Flickr: EvenALie's Photostream
They are not a sample of the best ones though, theire a sample of my "shooting style" with the G7

THIS

is one of my favourites though - much because hes got the video of me getting the picture of him with the turtle :p

I'm a point and click guy as well, so I would add that you should not over look any old Canon ELPH that you might already have. I have a 7yr old SD500 (it deployed with me to Afghanistan and is a tough little bugger) that I just got a used housing for ($85) and it does happy snaps on the underwater mode, but its video mode is just flat out excellent underwater. With an editor you can take stills off the video, post dive. If you're not into Fstops, focal lengths, filters blah blah, save your cash for when you have more experience underwater shooting, and go the short route. Was the best decision I ever made. I doubt I'll even bother going higher grade because it takes pics good enough to put on the wall, and is a small unobtrusive package underwater.

For people truly on a small budget, the Sealife Dc1400 with the new sealife fisheye lens is quite affordable. Of course a larger budget opens up a number of other chocies. - Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom