Cam straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry,

I did mean drop the rig over the tank. It seems difficult for me. Perhaps I just have to practice more.... And once I get the size set for the tank it shouldn't be a problem.

Is there anyway to prevent loss of that little metal retangular buckle?? It seems like it would be easy to loose since it's not held in place by anthing but the band and that's only attached to velcro. Perhaps attach it to something like the tank band or the buckle?

Mike

I am with fred T I have used them for many years never lost or dropped a tank what I like about them they are easy to adjust and change tanks quickly good if you have several different size tanks. Not sure if your getting your tight when there tight and you snap in place you will know its locked down.

buff once bubbled...
Sorry,

I did mean drop the rig over the tank. It seems difficult for me. Perhaps I just have to practice more.... And once I get the size set for the tank it shouldn't be a problem.

Is there anyway to prevent loss of that little metal retangular buckle?? It seems like it would be easy to loose since it's not held in place by anthing but the band and that's only attached to velcro. Perhaps attach it to something like the tank band or the buckle?

Mike

There is a slider on the strap that retains the buckle.

Mike, PM me with your phone number and a contact time. This should take just a few minutes of conversation to nail down. I don't have time to type that much tonight.

FT

Just to hear another viewpoint, anyone want to compare the SP strap with the Halcyon SS Super Cam Buckle?

Jim

GoBlue!:
Just to hear another viewpoint, anyone want to compare the SP strap with the Halcyon SS Super Cam Buckle?

Jim

The Halcyon is about $40 a piece. How much is the SP strap?

I paid $25 ea for my SP straps from the LDS

buff:
Well, here's something bad about the Scubapro straps.

They are a hassle.

Cam bands don't come undone when changing from tank to tank. I have to put the my wing on the floor of the boat and then lay the tank in it to fit the straps just right-with regards to height and diameter of tank.

The straps are very secure-moreso than bands but for recreational scuba I think it's overkill. I have never had a tank slip out of the bands.

Perhaps I just have to get used to the straps or develop a new "system" of securing it to a tank. I haven't thought about it much. But I have my dive camera and usually a new diver with me and one more distraction is usually too much.

If you use a hinged lower band and a non hinged upper band, you can just drop the upper band onto the tank like you're used to (it'll hold itself in place if its not to loose) , cinch it, then connect and cinch the lower hinged band. This works great on a boat. I've never seen anyone else do this but it seems like using two hinged cams would be a hasssle on a boat. This way, in rough seas, you should be able to change tanks with one hand freeing the other to hold on to the boat while you hold the tank with your knees.

sylvester:
I paid $25 ea for my SP straps from the LDS

Hey Sylvester, you skiing or diving in your profile pic? LOL

I saw in your profile something about MO. Were you based at Ft. Leonard Wood? I moved down to Miami from MO not too long ago.

Give me a shout when you finally make the move down to FL. I'll show you around the warm water.

GoBlue!:

Jim

I haven't used the SP buckles/bands, but the Halcyon tank webbing has a rubberized pattern on it called "octo grip" or something like that. It holds incredibly well, even when the bands are not super tight.

detroit diver:
I haven't used the SP buckles/bands, but the Halcyon tank webbing has a rubberized pattern on it called "octo grip" or something like that. It holds incredibly well, even when the bands are not super tight.

That explains why they are more expensive. I need two new bands for my new backplate, but wasn't sure if I should spend the $ on the Halcyon's. Their catalog doesn't mention the rubberized pattern, so they just look like Dive Rite's SS's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom