Cam straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoBlue!

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm searching through trying to pick components for a new BP/W setup, and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how the Oxycheq cam straps work vs. the scubapro cinch straps. Everything I read about SP tank straps is good, and I understand that the newer ones can be adjusted on the tank (as opposed to taking the BC off the tank to adjust). However, Oxycheq has a nice combo deal for a bp/w/harness that comes with cam straps, and I'm wondering how these are in comparison....

Thanks,
Jim

Well, here's something bad about the Scubapro straps.

They are a hassle.

Cam bands don't come undone when changing from tank to tank. I have to put the my wing on the floor of the boat and then lay the tank in it to fit the straps just right-with regards to height and diameter of tank.

The straps are very secure-moreso than bands but for recreational scuba I think it's overkill. I have never had a tank slip out of the bands.

Perhaps I just have to get used to the straps or develop a new "system" of securing it to a tank. I haven't thought about it much. But I have my dive camera and usually a new diver with me and one more distraction is usually too much.

DiveRite makes nice SS buckle cambands. They're easier to adjust than the ScubaPros and you can get them from DiveRiteExpress for a reasonable price.

I use them on my BP and love em very secure. The adjustment issue, I like the way SP has a locator strap on their BCs I am going to try to create a simular strap to place over my tank neck that will hold the plate where I want it and allow me to fasten the straps w/o laying the bp down.

I'm not familiar with Scubapro straps. Could someone post a picture or explain why you have lay the tank down ?

Diverite Express also sells a stainless steel hinged cam strap in addition to the standarad plastic and ss cam strap.

Connected-open
connected closed
disconnected open

I've used them for almost 20 years with no problems.
It's not necessary to lay the rig down to install the tank.
With straps in the connected-open position simply drop the rig over the tank, then swing the clamps closed.

FT

I agree I have used them for years and never had one come undone yet, for one thing they make it allot easier to change your tank in my opinion.

The SP straps seem to disconnect easily. There is nothing holding them together -like a pin. The little square shaped buckle is always popping out of the buckle on me.

And on a boat, with all the mess and it swaying back and forth, dropping a tank in while holding onto the staps seems difficult.

Am I doing something wrong? Fred says there the best so they must be!!! Everything else I got from him is great-especially the backplate, I LOVE my backplate.

Why can't the little square buclke be "locked" into the buckle and in that way be fixed-and with no chance of loosing it?

Mike

buff once bubbled...
And on a boat, with all the mess and it swaying back and forth, dropping a tank in while holding onto the staps seems difficult.

Am I doing something wrong? Mike

Drop the rig over the tank, not the tank into the rig. Simply hold the rig with the left hand and the lower buckle with the right. As soon as it gets into positon snap the lower buckle tight, then make up the upper one.

FT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom