Cam bands for back mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of my dogs chewed up a set of plastic/rubber friction pads that I had taken off to make some adjustments to one of our BP/Ws....I kept forgetting to order replacements and so we just kept diving with the cam straps without them. We have not experienced any issues not having them, and not having them makes it much less of a hassle and quicker to thread the cam straps through the slots in a plate and wing.

YMMV.

-Z

If the size works out that you can bridge across the the STA, it can protect painted tanks from getting scratched by the STA

While I don't use an STA, it provide protection from the wing book-screws in my case. I use ones like these: DGX Friction Pad
dx-204004_1.jpg
Anybody knows how to properly thread these friction pads?

The cam band goes: [front to back]:

pad hole -> wing hole -> plate hole (front to back) ->

[now reverse for back to front]

plate hole (back to front) -> wing hole -> pad hole...

at least that is how we do them...

It would be great if you can post a pic

I like my bpw setup to be as simple and light as possible, and the friction pads add no value for my set up.
Leaving them off means one less thing to fiddle with, saves a few ounces of dry weight, and with two cam bands adjusted tight the tank has never slipped.

I use them. I also use double cam bands. I think they are more important on single band systems but on single band systems when the cam band gets dry and shrinks a little, these will prevent you from being the guy that either had to have a buddy tighten his tank, move is tank, or reattach his tank during the dive. For a new diver, an event like that could be the start of a disaster chain.

I put mine on the band away from the diver so if the tank were to slip, the rubber pad will “grip” more. My wife’s BCD is a single band setup and the first dive of a trip here tank would usually slip. Not a big deal for her and only takes seconds to correct, but since I added the grabby pad, her tank has been fine.

I like them and for a few bucks, I think they are money well spent.

good luck,
jay

If they came with the cam bands I'd use them.

1664199744528.png

This is what I believe is the right threading of this band. Do you mean that you do it on top of the metal STA? Or on the side of hte STA?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom