Callout for a 6 year old in the river

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm at a bike shop 3 miles from home and the patrol car when I hear Beep, Beep, Beep. The mind shay "OH Crap" (with an S).

I look at the pager and see "Dive Team to Corbin Park for a missing 6 year old in the river, last seen 15 ago 4:14pm".

My mind starts playing tricks as 6 year old is all that registers.

I'm in the car I just bought Wobbles yesterday so a performance test is in order. I call home to give them a head start and at 4:19 I pull into the yard. I grab the keys from my grandson, jump into the car and check into service at 4:20.

I live roughly 4 minutes out from the park so we are still in a good time frame for a rescue. But at 4:24 we are canceled, the child was found.

He was OK and in fact in the river playing but with another group of people.

I don't know everything that led up to the call out, but if the parents were drinking or screwing around and not watching the kid I hope they file criminal charges on them.

How do you let your kid play in the water and not watch them 100% of the time? We were lucky this time.

Here is the spot in the river. We lose one here around every three years in this spot.
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=10&x=2504&y=26415&z=11&w=1

Gary D.

Gary D.:
I'm at a bike shop 3 miles from home and the patrol car when I hear Beep, Beep, Beep. The mind shay "OH Crap" (with an S).

I look at the pager and see "Dive Team to Corbin Park for a missing 6 year old in the river, last seen 15 ago 4:14pm".

My mind starts playing tricks as 6 year old is all that registers.

I'm in the car I just bought Wobbles yesterday so a performance test is in order. I call home to give them a head start and at 4:19 I pull into the yard. I grab the keys from my grandson, jump into the car and check into service at 4:20.

I live roughly 4 minutes out from the park so we are still in a good time frame for a rescue. But at 4:24 we are canceled, the child was found.

He was OK and in fact in the river playing but with another group of people.

I don't know everything that led up to the call out, but if the parents were drinking or screwing around and not watching the kid I hope they file criminal charges on them.

How do you let your kid play in the water and not watch them 100% of the time? We were lucky this time.

Here is the spot in the river. We lose one here around every three years in this spot.
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=10&x=2504&y=26415&z=11&w=1

Gary D.
Wow, glad the kid was found.
I've had near-panic attacks myself when my daughter gets out of sight. I watch her like a hawk, but all it takes is someone talking to you, you turn your head for a moment and lose sight. She's always been there when I turn back, but sometimes she's right behind someone else and I have a moment where I start for the spot I saw her last, until I have her under my eye again.
Again, glad the kid was found alright.

GaryD if I remember isnt that between post falls and hum county line or spokane WA dang been long time man you making me home sick maybe have to take a trip back to my old stomping grounds . hey there used to be small dive shop think in cour d alane is that still there . man even forgot how to spell the names again LOL.

medic13:
GaryD if I remember isnt that between post falls and hum county line or spokane WA dang been long time man you making me home sick maybe have to take a trip back to my old stomping grounds . hey there used to be small dive shop think in cour d alane is that still there . man even forgot how to spell the names again LOL.
Yup, half way between the dam and Washington.

The dive shop is still there but has been through a dozen or so owners. Another shop opened on the water in Coeur d'Alene that we used for 20+ years but he retired and sold it. Now it's inland a couple of miles and not far from the old Divers West.

Come on back up. We have been in the mid 90's which is hot for us. But with lots of H2O to play in it's ok and it's not humid.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom