Calling the US from Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CarwashGuy

Registered
Reaction score
What's the best (least $) way to do it? Can you still use your Sams Club (att) calling card?

Telecom sector is being opened to competition here in Cayman. As of this writing there is no competition for international calls, but that is set to change in a few months.

For now, calling the States using a Cable & Wireless calling card is still the most reliable way to go. Cable & Wireless has actively blocked access numbers for certain calling cards and international dial-back services. You might have luck with a calling card from the US, but there is a distinct chance that you will have connection problems.

My wife and I went on a cruise last May for our honeymoon, and we couldn't use our calling cards anywhere we went, which was Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. The only way we could call home without paying $10 a minute onboard the ship was to use the local calling centers. As the last poster said, you COULD buy their calling cards there, but we were only on the island for one day, and made one call home. It cost several $ per minute to make the call, but it was the only recourse we had. Once you get to Coz, the price was actually reasonable at the call centers, being around .50 per minute. Overall, I felt like it was just another racket to get your dollars, but that's just one more chance you take when you're travelling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom