Calling all Whites Fusion divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing that's made a big difference in my struggles to get into my Fusion-- Armor All.

I've spread it over all of the inner surfaces, but was careful not to touch the seals or valves with it. Since I did that I can slip into the suit no problem, it pulls on like a pair of pants.

Does anyone ever use talc on your wrist seals? I tore one last night putting my hand thru the sleeve to check my dry glove placement.

I was told by the DRIS guys not to use talc on the silicone seals. From what I've read, if you tear the silicone seals it's basically because there was a nick or something.

I use Seal Saver on my wrist seals, but then again, mine are latex. I can't think of why it would harm silicone seals, though. Silicone is pretty inert.

I really have to disagree with the idea that the Fusion is a "nightmare" to get on, or horribly uncomfortable on the surface. It IS a bit of work to get into, and the heavier the skin you use, the more work it is. This is one of the reasons I don't like the Bullet skin at all. However, once I am in the suit, I find it no more or less uncomfortable than any other dry suit I have owned or dived to wear on land, with the single exception of walking around with the pockets full and the top off -- then it sags. But I rarely do that.

With regards to the question of which Fusion would be best for someone intending to become an instructor, I would recommend against the back zip . . . it's awfully handy for an instructor to be able to get into his own kit without help. Other than that, the discriminants between the skins are pretty simple. If you don't need pockets, get the Sport skin. It gives you the lightest suit and the easiest to get in and out of, and the most mobility in the water. If you want pockets, I'd recommend the Tech skin. You can actually get a fair bit of stuff in the pockets, and it saves you from having to remember your X-shorts (which are what I use when I want pockets and am traveling). I can't honestly think of a reason to use a Bullet skin, unless you're utterly addicted to red . . .

It's the compromises that I'm just not understanding with this suit.

It IS a bit of work to get into, and the heavier the skin you use, the more work it is.

Isn't it better to have a suit that isn't?

with the single exception of walking around with the pockets full and the top off -- then it sags

So you have to empty your pockets or you make compromises on what to carry on dives? Again, wouldn't it be better to have a suit that doesn't sag when the pockets are full and the top is down?

'd recommend the Tech skin. You can actually get a fair bit of stuff in the pockets, and it saves you from having to remember your X-shorts

Are you using x-shorts with a dry suit? Again, why compromise here? What does this suit do so well that it's worth putting up with the rest of its downside? I sure couldn't identify any major upside that compelled me to make those trade offs... and believe me, I tried...

I have about 6 dives on my new Fusion Tech and really like the suit. I wear the Thermal Fusion under it with UA under that and it works great for the Puget Sound. I'm finding that after about 5-6 dives, the zipper loosens up a little and it's now completely self donning. Previously I needed someone to get the last inch, but I can get the whole thing zipped now. I find it's pretty comfortable on the surface interval as well with the silicon seals. I have a L/XL and did not cut the seals; they seem to be tight enough without any constriction. I had a relief zipper installed so I don't need to take it half off between dives, although there's now three separate zippers and 6 layers to get though to do business - it's all good! Getting into the suit is pretty easy and follows the DRIS videos. I find the trickiest part is getting out; after unzipping and pulling the collar back over your head, getting the arms out of the seals is the most difficult part.

I really have to disagree with the idea that the Fusion is a "nightmare" to get on, or horribly uncomfortable on the surface. It IS a bit of work to get into, and the heavier the skin you use, the more work it is....

With regards to the question of which Fusion would be best for someone intending to become an instructor, I would recommend against the back zip . . . it's awfully handy for an instructor to be able to get into his own kit without help. Other than that, the discriminants between the skins are pretty simple. If you don't need pockets, get the Sport skin. It gives you the lightest suit and the easiest to get in and out of, and the most mobility in the water. If you want pockets, I'd recommend the Tech skin. You can actually get a fair bit of stuff in the pockets, and it saves you from having to remember your X-shorts (which are what I use when I want pockets and am traveling). I can't honestly think of a reason to use a Bullet skin, unless you're utterly addicted to red . . .

I agree that the Fusion isn't a "nightmare" to get on and on the surface...IF it's the right size and fits you well. I am short and pear shaped, and the standard Fusion inner lining and bullet skin is not accommodating to short people with hips and narrow shoulders! The S/M is a bit constricting in the hip area, but fits pretty well everywhere else. I still wouldn't term it a "nightmare" to get on, but it's not easy and takes quite a bit of work to get everything where it's supposed to be. The L/XL is much more accommodating in the hip region, but too long in the arms and legs,and the top is way too big.

I wouldn't rule out the Fusion back zip model for an instructor if it's a better fit than the other models. I recently moved to a fusion back zip and it's flexible enough that even with undergarments on (and the zipper waxed properly) I am actually able to zip and unzip it myself. It's not as easy to zip and unzip as the Bullet was, but it's not that hard either.

It's the compromises that I'm just not understanding with this suit.

Isn't it better to have a suit that isn't?

So you have to empty your pockets or you make compromises on what to carry on dives? Again, wouldn't it be better to have a suit that doesn't sag when the pockets are full and the top is down?

Are you using x-shorts with a dry suit? Again, why compromise here? What does this suit do so well that it's worth putting up with the rest of its downside? I sure couldn't identify any major upside that compelled me to make those trade offs... and believe me, I tried...

One man's compromise is another man's normal. I have put on the Bullet 3 times now and I do not consider it a challenge. Being as I have never got into a bag suit I can't speak of the comparison between the two but I do not have issues with my Bullet. Each person has their preference on how they set up their own gear.

And now back to the regularly posted topic...

Not having any other dry suit experience myself to compare to I don't better from not but I can say that I liked training in my Bullet last night. Buoyancy was interesting to get down at first but with some more practice I should pick it back up pretty quick. Our dive instructor said my wife did better than I did. We did the inverted roll out skill last night, that was a lot easier than I had anticipated. I had more trouble with getting out of the inverted position at the surface than when I rolled out at depth (9'-10') but even that was minimal difficulty. Over all, I am quite happy with my suit except that the neck seal is very tight until I get in the water.

Back
Top Bottom