Calling All Big Blue Cult Members....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
We watched it again last night, JB had not seen it.

Each time I see this movie, I have questions.

Why is Enzo's mask like that? (It has quarter sized holes in the middle of opaque glass)

Why did it seem like the old Greek guy on the dive boat let the diver/ father sink into the abyss? He did not try and grab the rope... And what was the diver chipping away at the reef for? collecting mollusks?

Do freedivers really train at altitude? (Peru, 15,000 ft?) is it for the red blood cell effect?

Are there any write-ups about this movie and the details?

What was realistic and what was fictitious?

Not so fast- before you go firing off questions, you have to give the secret cult handshake :wink:

Let's see:
The mask- I don't recall that the mask was opaque, but frosted or fogged. I often see poorly de-fogged masks that look like Enzo's. Maybe he was better at freediving than defogging?

The tender- I thought he was trying to prevent little Jacques from jumping in or grabbing the rope and falling in. Not sure why he was chipping away?

Freediving- I thought they were in Peru for scientific studies. I've heard of runners training at altitude to increase cardio-vascular performance.

As a side note, The Big Blue is one of my favorite films and Luc Besson is one of my favorite directors, French or otherwise!

oh, thanks!

yea, this movie is deep, funny, sensual (the photography! the music!)

Any other Luc Besson films to recommend? The Fifth Element, The Professional ?

Oh, okay...yes they were studying the mammalian reflex, I guess. Thus the cold water?

well, they were harvesting something. I want to know what. I did not see any black coral...

Makes me want to go to Sicily. Jean-Marc Barr is pretty sexy, kinda reminds me of Jack Johnson. Has he done anything else great?

Does anyone have a source for the director's cut? I borrowed this one and want to own it, it is kinda hard to find. I want the sound track too.

OHHH...the mask. I bet those were his lenses, because Enzo wore glasses. Duh..

I see that Robert Garland of No Way Out worked on the screen play.

Ironic, because I took "No Way Out" to my friend to try and negotiate a trade last night because he owns every movie know to man and I thought maybe he would not have seen that one, and I loved it. I just read that Robert Garland had a lot of input.

Other Luc Besson films:

La Femme Nikita (remade as Point of No Return)
The Professional (AKA Leon or The Cleaner)
Atlantis (an underwater wildlife documentary- it might be hard to find)

I will have to watch my copy again for like the 1000th time but I believe I can help with your mask question.

The mask has been filled with bathtub type silicone to reduce the inner volume and make it easier to equalize. The "coin" areas are left clear of silicone so as to see.

Actually it used to be a common practice among freedivers.

I will have to watch my copy again for like the 1000th time but I believe I can help with your mask question.

The mask has been filled with bathtub type silicone to reduce the inner volume and make it easier to equalize. The "coin" areas are left clear of silicone so as to see.

Actually it used to be a common practice among freedivers.

Oh yeah and the harvest was sponges.

wow, I thought it looked funny.

What problem did the dad/diver who was harvesting sponges have that made him scream and then sink? And what kind or rig was that?

I wouldn't join any cult that would accept me as a member, but I really do want to see this film. Perhaps I can rent it while I'm in Florida helping Mom out...

Back
Top Bottom