Call To Action - keep Point Lobos Open Now!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is based solely on the "financial independence" of the park. If revenues exceed costs, the park will remain open. Most parks run at a loss to keep use fees low, which is why 220 of the 279 state parks are being closed. With time to reform the parks rather than a quick slash, more parks could meet the financial independence criteria.

NO. The parks that are NOT on the list are the ones that are
funded from sources other than Parks & Rec, for example, some
lakes that are funded by Dept of Boating and Waterways (which
BTW paid for most of the ramp improvements a couple of years
ago at the breakwater).

ALL of the other parks are on the list.

If there's a park that could make a profit, it's Pt. Lobos. Look at
the lines to get in on a summer weekend afternoon.

I may be too late, but I sent one a few minutes ago.

mikemath -- Thank you. As I wrote, I've been involved in this issue before and just saying "Don't do 'X'" is generally NOT a good response because SOMETHING needs to be done and so you also need to say, "Do 'Y'" -- and you did.

This is rather serious and we could lose Point Lobos and much more in our state parks. You're continued support is desperately needed. Do not wait, YOU are needed to take action now!

A huge thank you to the 100s of divers and related friends who have signed over 500 letters delivered to legislators over the last week!

Last night in Sacramento, over 100 park advocates packed the Budget Conference Committee to lobby to keep state parks open. State Parks supporters spoke in support for state parks - which drive local economic activity and provide much-needed, low cost recreation. There was no vote last night as the purpose of last night's meeting was to hear public comment. They seemed sympathetic to our cause.

Here's the low-down on the sequence of actions that will take place in the next 2 weeks:

1. The Budget Conference Committee will then meet and formulate a report/recommendation of what to keep and what to cut in the State's budget. They will then deliver this to the entire legislature (State Senate and Assembly).

2. The legislature will then finalize the budget.

In the meantime the "Big 5" will be meeting behind closed doors. This is comprised of the Governor's office and the Republican and Democratic leaders of the Senate and Assembly.

Here's what's needed:

1. If you haven't already done so, go to the site below to send your letter. This will literally take 2 minutes. There's a boilerplate letter that you can modify. Add POINT LOBOS in the subject and the body of the letter. Put in your address and violla, you're done!!!!! It will generate letters to your representatives!

2. Send this to anyone you know and any organization you know to send out the letters. Many of you already have! You're awesome!

3. Any organization you belong to can write a letter on your organization's letterhead in support of our state parks and Point Lobos. E-mail me and I'll give you the boilerplate and the one address to send it to.

4. Go here for more information: California State Parks Foundation - Your Voice for Parks become a member and donate.

5. Become a member of the Point Lobos Association: https://pt-lobos.parks.state.ca.us/AssociationMembership.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom