Call To Action - keep Point Lobos Open Now!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocWong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
edited June 3, 2009: There's still more time to do this and we need more e-mails out, so do this today.

This will literally take 2 minutes. Go to:

http://ga3.org/campaign/budget_may09

If you would, please reply to this thread when you do this. This will give me a rough count of how many faxes / e-mails we've sent.

1. There is already a template there. Modify it to also include POINT LOBOS in the subject and in the body of the e-mail and whatever other modifications you want.

2. Fill out your address and it will automatically be sent to the appropriate legislators!

After speaking to Point Lobos rangers, the area's superintendent and the State Parks Foundation, what is needed right now is Public Outcry. Your voice needs to be heard and this is one of the easiest ways to do it.

Last year public outcry prevented the closure of less than 50 state parks, this year 200 parks are threatened.

Today the Legislature's Budget Conference Committee will hear public testimony on the proposal to eliminate state funding and close 220 of our parks. I'd like to see 500 e-mails there before noon today!

If you want to do more:

1. Call your state legislators.
2 Join the Save Our State Parks campaign, being run by the California State Parks Foundation. (same site as above)
2) Donate any amount to that campaign (same site as above)

Last edited:
OK -- what do you propose be closed, eliminated, etc. instead of the various parks?

How much would you be willing to pay to keep Point Lobos open?

BTW, I LOVE diving at P. L. and have no idea what I'd be willing to pay to dive there.

I've also been on the management team of an agency that had to cut about 30% of its budget due to significant decrease in projected state revenues and the outcome was not pretty. (My position was one that was eliminated -- at my insistence I might add!)

If you would, please reply to this thread when you do this. This will give me a rough count of how many faxes / e-mails we've sent.

Sent over the weekend.

Sent.

I'm just curious how the handful of parks that have been declared "safe"
outperformed the others slated for closure.

-b

OK -- what do you propose be closed, eliminated, etc. instead of the various parks?

A 0.8% reduction in K-12 and Higher Education (39.9% of the budget, about $53 billion) would more than offset the proposed 100% reduction of non-self-sufficient state parks (0.3% of the budget, about $400 million). A 10% reduction in government administration (4.3% of the budget, about $6 Billion) would have the same effect. A 1% reduction in Health and Human Services (28.2% of the budget, about $38 Billion) would also do the trick. Or a combination to spread out the pain.

I'm not anti-education or anti-health (although I am anti-bureaucracy). But when cuts need to be made, they should be done in a way that encourage efficiency rather than simply destroying some programs. There are about 50 million visitors to state parks every year. A $4 increase in fees could cover half the cost of these programs. In combination with distributing cuts across all programs instead of acting vertically, most parks could remain open.

Sent.

I'm just curious how the handful of parks that have been declared "safe"
outperformed the others slated for closure.

-b

It is based solely on the "financial independence" of the park. If revenues exceed costs, the park will remain open. Most parks run at a loss to keep use fees low, which is why 220 of the 279 state parks are being closed. With time to reform the parks rather than a quick slash, more parks could meet the financial independence criteria.

Peter,
I know drastic times call for drastic measures..but closure of 80% of the state parks is unacceptable to me! We elected our officials to balance a budget and live within our means. Closeing parks that belong to the people does not seem right..some incredible treasures! How do we keep people out and patrol them?
I don't have a clear answer on where the cuts should come from but...lots of fat in
Sacramento. Our legislaters are not taking a pay cut? Lots of huge golden parachutes for city/state and county workers?

Is the park system in Washington in jeaprody at all? Certainly a lot of beautiful public land!

Im surprised PL is on the list..Im sure dive revenue is meager, but the park sure is busy above water and it is the "Crown Jewel of the California Park System". This whole situation really bites!! I guess we all better get ready for cuts that will effect everyone in many shapes and forms!

Drew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom