Call me crazy...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k4sdi

Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone else does.

With the recent thread about what you consider cold, let me tell you my story. Im a larger kinda guy ( I know, I know, pic coming soon...) and I can tolerate 65 or so degree water WITHOUT a wetsuit. Is this abnormal? whats the coldest for you without a wetsuit?

Mark

"The weather is here, wish you were beautiful"
J. Buffett

I'm not a real fatty person (though I'm afraid my spare tire is going to go from "moped" to "motorcycle" if I don't get off my butt and exercise more!) but I have a reasonable tolerance to cold.

I have snorkeled for two hours + in 72 degree Florida winter water without feeling cold, wearing just a swimsuit. When I was a teenager I swam and snorkeled in Danish fjords during the summer; I have no idea what the water temeratures were, but Danish summer is sort of like winter in some other parts of the world, I'm sure the water temperatures were in the sixties most of the time.

Granted these are both while engaging in quite a bit of activity, so that helps keep me warm. I don't know if I could do the same thing taking it easy/breathing colder air at depth. Anyway, I think there is probably a wide variety of tolerances for "cold" water and body type/size/spare tire model is just one part of it!

Chris

OK. Your'e crazy! I could probably tolerate 65 degree water without a wetsuit but not diving in it for any lengthe of time.

Scott

Originally posted by k4sdi
Is this abnormal? whats the coldest for you without a wetsuit?

I've not tested my :goofy: level of nuts in water, but I've proven to myself that I can be completely comfortable in weather that will kill me. I have a tendancy to go get my paper from the end of my driveway in the snow in my boxers, with no shirt nor shoes. It's all good unless my neighbor comes over to chat while they shovel... 'cause I didn't store up enough heat for a longer than planned trip.

The "weather that will kill me" comment. Christmas 1993. First winter at my in-laws-to-be. 30 below without the windchill as we were outside trying to get a car started. I had a hat on, my gloves, and jacket and all 'decked' out. I was warm... I didn't need a scarf. I was fine.

3 hours after I came in I started to get congested, and I was sick for over a week... just from breathing in that cold of air directly...

Thank god i've never seen it that cold again... 'cause I still hate scarfs! :)

-Jeff

k4sdi--you are quite capable of diving the Michigan wrecks with a wetsuit from a thermal point of view.

I went swimming yesterday with a 2 mil shorty. There were folks there with swim suits only. They were using inner tubes and for the most part were only waist deep .Water temp 65*F.

Diving without a wetsuit.......hmmm........I'd have to be diving exceptionally close to the sun for that to ever happen!!!!

Originally posted by chris_b
I'm not a real fatty person (though I'm afraid my spare tire is going to go from "moped" to "motorcycle" if I don't get off my butt and exercise more!) but I have a reasonable tolerance to cold.

I have snorkeled for two hours + in 72 degree Florida winter water without feeling cold, wearing just a swimsuit. When I was a teenager I swam and snorkeled in Danish fjords during the summer; I have no idea what the water temeratures were, but Danish summer is sort of like winter in some other parts of the world, I'm sure the water temperatures were in the sixties most of the time.

Granted these are both while engaging in quite a bit of activity, so that helps keep me warm. I don't know if I could do the same thing taking it easy/breathing colder air at depth. Anyway, I think there is probably a wide variety of tolerances for "cold" water and body type/size/spare tire model is just one part of it!

Chris
That 72 degree "winter water you are talking about in Florida" is heaven around here in peak season in our summers. 72 degrees around here and we I don't need a wetsuit thats a Jacuzzi:eek:ut:

I dive in only a swimsuit and T-shirt in 70º and above. I can't do that several days in a row but for 3-4 dives in a day I'm fine. For multi-day trips, I may use a .5mil steamer.

The water doesn't even get 70 degs at our public beaches in August! I regularly spend good periods of time in the water with just a bathing suit anywhere above 60 degs. Diving always requires some kind of exposure protection - I've never encountered water warmer than 62 degs on dives - other than Florida and Aruba

72degress in the Florida Springs, and a 5mm Full with a hood is what I wear. I don't like to be even chilled when I dive. I could probably tolerate diving in a 3mm shorty, but I do not see the reason in it. Your core can be chilled and your body temp down and you might not realize it. I would rather stay warm. I moved from Wisconsin to get a way from the cold, why would I want to make myself cold?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom