California: Stillwater Cove Scuba Incident, one hospitalized?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was an accident Saturday at Stillwater Cove around 1:00pm. I was spearfishing off my kayak around Fire Rock with two dive boats anchored in the area. While on a drop I heard a motor and a boat went by heading for the Beach Club. At the same time I could her EMS responding, a short time later a fire engine and ambulance arrived and starting working on the diver. Another diver later told us that the diver was brought up from the bottom. He said the boat was the Silver Prince, I don't know if he's right.

Does anyone else know what exactly happen? Please let me know, being a new diver I really need to know what not to do so it doesn't cost me the ultimate price.

At this point, nobody knows exactly what happened, however to answer your question, if you do the stuff live_2_dive posted, you should be just fine.

(Nearly?) every accident posted on SCUBABoard involves either a medical event, doing something the diver was trained to not do, or not doing something the diver was trained to do.

If you do everything you were taught in OW class, and exercise good judgement about when and where you dive, you'll have many years of great diving. If you find yourself in a situation that makes you uneasy, skip the dive and get more training, or skip the dive and pick a more appropriate dive next time.

Some day you might die from a heart attack or stroke or some other medical problem, but those are a possibility every day you get out of bed, and not just while diving.

flots.

Two things to add:

- ALWAYS get routine medical examinations, and
- ALWAYS maintain good cardio-vascular healh.

Many "diving" accidents and deaths are really medical events precipitated by the routine stresses of diving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

And by all the stars in the sky: when you see a failure chain, break it! A couple of of "not so bad" / "I'll take a chance" / "it can't happen to ME" can put you in a chamber.

I really appreciate your comment and information. I believe you did witness the events surrounding the attempted rescue of the diver, he did not survive the accident. I'm still waiting on details of what led him to be 'on the bottom', hoping the family will eventually have answers. Thank you...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom