California Divers: become a Citizen Scientist with Reef Check - 2013 training dates!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelpgirl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
California Divers,

Have you often wondered how to identify allthose rockfish and abalone species? Have you ever wanted to be a marine biologist? Are you interested in collecting data on our local rocky reefs and getting a little more out of your dives? If so, Reef Check California may be the perfect fit for you! We have recently announced our 2013 training dates and we are looking for dedicated divers to join the Reef Check team to help us accomplish our ambitious 2013 survey goals. We invite youto join us for the fun. Participants will learn about our local ecosystems/critters, will learn how to use their new set of survey gear and will be able to participate in our regular survey dives which will ultimately help improve marine management by providing much needed data.

Here's your chance to be part of a team of like-minded divers that are collecting real data that will be used by decision makers. Some of you may be familiar with Reef Check California (RCCA). Very briefly, we rely on specially trained volunteer divers (aka Citizen Scientists) from around the state to assist with unbiased scientific data collection of California’s rocky reefs. We then pass along this datat o resource managers so they can determine the best methods of managing our ocean resources. (To find out more about our sites or our database, please check out http://ned.reefcheck.org).

To date, Reef Check California has trained and certified over 1000 volunteer divers comprised of a diverse group of ocean users including recreational divers, commercial urchin fishermen, lifeguards, marine educators, police divers and university AAUS student divers. Last year we completed 85 surveys at 72 sites along the coast, from Humboldt County to San Diego. We dive a lot!

2013 California Training dates:

• Fort Bragg: April 20-21 (classroom and pool) and April 27-28 (shore dives)
  • SantaBarbara/SLO: May 4-5 (classroom and pool) and May 18-19 (overnight boatdives on the Peace)
  • LosAngeles Training: May 4-5 (classroom and pool) and May 18-19 (overnight boatdives on the Peace)
  • Monterey: June 1-2 (classroom and pool) and June 8-9 (boat dives on the Monterey Express)
  • San Diego Training: June 8-9 (classroom and pool) and June 29-30 (overnight boat dives on the Magician)
  • OrangeCounty Training: June 22-23 (classroom and pool) and June 29-30 (overnight boatdives on the Magician)
  • San Francisco: June 29-30 (classroom and pool) and July 14-15 (boat dives on the Monterey Express)
  • Santa Rosa: June 29-30 (classroom and pool) and July 14-15 (boat dives on the Monterey Express)

To sign up for a training, please check outthis page: http://reefcheck.org/rcca/training_schedule.php.

You may wonder what happens during a training. The trainings take place over two weekends and the first weekend consists of classroom and pool activities. The second weekend consists of 6 dives over two days. You will become very familiar with many of California’s marine species of fish, invertebrates and seaweed. All training materials (transect, data slate, compass, calipers, manual, field guide flash cards), boat costs and NAUI specialty certification cards are included in the training. Survey dives take place statewide throughout the year, with local boat and beach dives taking place a few times per month. Prospective divers need to have over 30 lifetime dives with 15 dives taking place in California or other locations with water temps under 68°F.

If you have any questions about the project or need more details about the training, please don’t hesitate to contact me. You can check our website for more information on course specifics, prerequisites and exactly what’s included in the training here: http://www.reefcheck.org/rcca/Training_Course_Outline.php. Also, if you’d like to know what it’s like to be a Reef Check volunteer diver,I can put you in touch with a local volunteer or two and they can tell you about their experiences. I have heard from several volunteers that their diving has never been the same after becoming a Reef Check volunteer! I hope to meet you at an upcoming training!

Ha, must respond as I did to your post on OC Diving News.

"Have you ever wanted to be a marine biologist?"

If you do, ask to see my paycheck. It might change your mind... but you'll have a lifetime of fun if you do!

I want to do this! This is an incredible opportunity!

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added February 16th, 2013 at 09:49 AM ----------

I signed up for June OC training!

Day 2 of Reef Check CA! Wow learning lots of identification tips for fish, invertebrates, kelp and algae. Sizing fish is underwater is crazy and we were only in the pool with stationary fish :eek:

Anyone looking to help the marine environment this is great way to do it. We have 12 ordinary divers looking to become Reef Checkers. One guy is certified in tropical and has moved to California and going for it here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom