California Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rstone

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about a dive shop called: Glenn's Aquarius II located in Monterey, CA? Specifically if they run a good shop, if you have had a good or bad experience with them and anything else that you feel might be important for someone looking to use them.

Ryan Stone

Nope, Just curious about what kind of operation they run, and what there staff is like.

Ryan Stone

I was a customer there back in late 1989 and remember they were very helpful and friendly. Never been diving in Monterey since, so I have do not know what they are like now.

I did a dive with Glenn about 12 months ago - he's a great guide if you're new to Monterey diving. I've gotten the odd airfill from the store, never purchased from it. It's just convenient if you're diving on the Breakwall, you can walk over with your tank and get it filled while wearing your wetsuit.

I rented tanks and weights from them last Oct., the staff was very friendly and helpful. They spent over an hour with me planning out various shore dives, even on a Sat. morning. The sea lions made the breakwall an excellent dive although the number of divers was unbelievable. No nitrox though.

They only have steel 80's, which, first off, bugs me (I usually dive 95's or 104's). Their tanks are rusty and poorly maintained. I was rented one which had a leaky valve -- and when I returned it, one of the staff told me that I was expected to bring my regulator into the shop and test every tank before accepting it. I reminded him that they checked each tank for pressure immediately before handing them to me -- I figured they would have noticed a leak, just as I did. The staff member then told me that "this is a learning experience, and you'll get the hang of it eventually."

Being a rather experienced cave diver, I was a little pissed off. I've never had a company try so hard to tell me that it was MY fault that they rented me a tank with a leaky valve.

Needless to say, I left with a middle-finger salute, and now take all of my Monterey shore-diving business to Monterey Bay Dive Center, whose folks have always been over-the-top helpful to me.

- Warren

Have dealt with Aquarius for several years, but not the one near the breakwater. The people out at the Aquarius on DelMonte have consistently been helpful in arranging rentals, shore dives, and emergency reg repairs.

When I'm staying closer to the aquarium, though, I go to MBDC, and recommend them highly.

AFAIK, Aquarius Divers on Del Monte Ave, and Aquarius II on the Breakwall, are no longer associated. They used to be the one business, but Aquarius II was sold off as a seperate entity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom