California Channel Islands live aboard, late July 2002

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roakey

Old, not bold diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Limited load California Channel Islands live aboard, including the south Islands, July 20th through the 25th (5 days of diving, the 21st through the 25th). The boat is the “Conception”, see http://www.truthaquatics.com/ for more information about Truth Aquatics and the Conception.

This will be my sixth year for this trip. This is not a dive shop trip, I’m the one leasing the boat from Truth Aquatics in order to hold the headcount down to something reasonable and offer the spots at cost (don’t believe me? I’ll show you the contract!). The boat’s built for 35 divers. I put 21 on board for $860 each. Yes, I could put 30 divers on the boat for $600 each and it’d be cheap and we’d all be miserable. I like lots of elbowroom. Believe me, it makes for a much more enjoyable trip.

Dives range from mild to wild, depending on weather and current conditions. All divers must be able to plan and execute their own dives, since this is not divemaster-lead-tour type diving. The captain gives an excellent briefing when we arrive at a new site. Typical dive depths are around 40-60 feet, with deeper, if you want it much deeper dives available. This is not advanced-only diving in the least (unless you want to make so). Confident beginners on up will have a great time. We may even have a couple people doing some Trimix diving. I will warn you that if you’re still uncomfortable in the water, this trip is not for you.

I know a number of places that are must dives, but I run the trip by where the divers want to go, when they want to move, etc. Very laid back trip, everyone’s been a happy camper on previous trips.

Here are the details:

Leave Santa Barbara on Saturday, July 20th at about 10pm, motor to San Clemente island (rich kelp forests, not as beat up as Catalina). We usually stay at San Clemente for two or three days, then motor up to Santa Barbara island where we dive off a seal and sea lion rookery (Georgi Turek, scubaturek’s wife, got hugged by a seal pup last year). We then motor up to one of the Northern islands for the last day and are back in Santa Barbara at about 6pm on July 25th. Things we’ve done in past years are Farnsworth Banks and the Grace Oil Platform (I never dove in water that was over 300 feet deep before!).

What do you get for $860?

 Five nights lodging, five days of diving. As much diving as you want to do and your computers will allow. We try and offer a night dive every night, conditions permitting. Usually amounts to two or three night dives.
 All the compressed air you can breathe. Sorry, no Nitrox on board yet.
 All the food you can eat (and they have *great* food!).
 A bunk, blanket and pillow (I suggest you bring your own pillow and a sleeping bag, however).
 And new this year, I just have to finalize it, we’ll have our very own marine biologist. She used to be an instructor at the Catalina Island Marine Institute, and most recently was an instructor at Colorado’s Ocean Journey. She’ll be giving one or two lectures (totally optional, this is for fun) in the evenings, and will be there for all your “what’s this fish?” questions. Her ‘payment’ is a free spot on board, but she ‘works’ for all those aboard. :)
 Last year (again, totally voluntary) we did the fish count organized by the Reef Environmental Education Foundation. We’ll try and do that again this year.

What’s not included:

 Transportation to and from Santa Barbara (I can run a shuttle from the Santa Barbara airport to the boat Saturday afternoon, so feel free to fly in).
 Any dive gear you might need to rent (tanks and weights are *not* included, this appears to be the California way).
 Tip for the crew.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to send me mail (roakey@underctek.com) post a reply to this note (if it’s a question that might interest others, I’d prefer that) or call me at 719-332-9085. Please remember I’m on Mountain Time!

Now accepting deposits on a first come first served basis, a $400 deposit will reserve your place on board, balance of $460 due by May 1st (the early final payment is because of Truth Aquatics' contract).

Roak

We've got a few spots left, this is the "balance is due" mail that went out to the folks that are already signed up. If you're interested, call me at this point in time, see previous post.

=====================

Ok folks, this is a gentle reminder that I need your final payments by May 1st if you haven’t paid the balance already (thanks to those of you that have!) Total cost of the trip is $860.

Some GREAT news. Something I’ve wanted to do for a couple years is going to happen this year. We have a professional educator/environmental interpreter (she’s the head of volunteer education at Denver’s aquarium, Ocean Journey -- please note that this is NOT a COJ sponsored activity) on the trip. She’ll be giving a couple talks during the trip as well as doing interpretation and answering all your “what’s this fish?” questions. Attendance at the talks is totally voluntary. Note that this is not the marine biologist that I was orginally trying to get, I think this instructor is even better!

Lynne will be doing the REEF fish count again this year (there’s a small additional cost to cover materials). This is also totally voluntary.

Bottom line is that excitement is starting to replace the hand-wringing I’ve been doing the last couple months!

Roger

Wow, Roaky!
There's something to shoot for next year. Sorry I missed your post until now. I have dived Baja California, the Caribbean, & locally, but the Channel Islands are my favorite so far! The sea lions are very friendly. There are little caverns along the edges of the islands that are fun to swim into. And the boats in Santa Barbara are great too. Good job putting together a dream mini-vacation.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom