Cairns suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jnylaw

Reaction score
Going to Cairns in 3 weeks :crafty:

Any suggestions on the hotels? Looking for something in the medium price range ...
Will stay there for two days, so it doesn't have to be too fancy cos I can imagine
we are out all day!

Will go to Tablelands for one day. Suggestions on whether to go by ourselves or
join the tour (like the wait-a-while tour)?

Can't wait!!

jnylaw:
Going to Cairns in 3 weeks :crafty:

Any suggestions on the hotels? Looking for something in the medium price range ...
Will stay there for two days, so it doesn't have to be too fancy cos I can imagine
we are out all day!

Will go to Tablelands for one day. Suggestions on whether to go by ourselves or
join the tour (like the wait-a-while tour)?
I would suggest you have a look at the Coral Tree Inn. Rates are mid-range and include breakfast. It's a ten minute cab ride from the airport and a five block walk to the Esplanade (restaurants, bars, shops, etc).

http://www.hotels.com/property.jsp?property=255364&gds=3

The hotel has an interesting natural stone swimming pool and an onsite laundry facility - which I was thankful for after ten days on a liveaboard. I cleaned up my gear and washed all my clothes the night before heading back to Sydney and home.

Have a great trip - you'll love Cairns!

Thanks Bill H! Good idea about laundry!

- j

You may also want to check out the Queens court, same facilities. Take a dip in the pool just before dark and watch the flying Fox's go overhead.
We did a semi tour, car picked us up at the hotel and took us to a aborigine show the cable car was right next door took that to Karunda and spent the rest of the day there ( thats where you can hug a kawala bear) then took the train back down the mountain and the car was there to take us back to the hotel.

Hi cdiver2, which tour company did you go with? We are going to have a car since
we'll be driving up from Townsville. So we could just go to visit those places ourselves. But I wonder if the tour guides will be able to show us animals that we
normally won't see if we go by ourselves.

- j

Personally, I prefer driving myself ...

Find a decent guide-book and a map ... you can find several days worth of things to do in the tablelands.... Kuranda is also worth a look (we enjoyed the boat/river tour up there).

Will you have children with you ? ... If so, I would HIGHLY recomend the "Coconut Caravan Resort" (they also have cabins). It was a GREAT place fr the kids to unwind after a day in the van/hiking. http://www.coconut.com.au

J I forget the actual company that took us but we booked them through Diversionoz.
The best agent I have ever used was Ken you can contact him at ken@diversionoz.com
Just explain what you want ie book Queens court, pick up at hotel do Aborigine show,
go up on sky lift and back down on the train.
I went back up again and drove myself up then across the top to Port Douglas there was not a great deal to see wild life wise the highlight was when a hugh lizard ran across the Rd in front of us. His head was on the center line and his tail on the hard shoulder great sight but over in a split second I don't think I could out run one. The only other thing was a Rd kill Roo.
The organized one was a lot better once dropped at the show you are on your own they just tell you what time the last train is and the car is there when it arrives in Cairns.
You may not get the vouchers in time so just tell Ken to leave them at the hotel desk.

You might check with "Trip-n-tour" they have really helped me with Oz reservations and they give a guarantee that they will beat anyones price or......

Caymanaic

We stayed at the Coral Tree inn, great location, walked everywhere, and liked how friendly and easygoing they were. very reasonably priced, and we needed the laundry room. We stayed with them both before & after our liveaboard trip, and they have a luggage room, where we left 2 large bags while on the boat. They were very helpful in reccomending things to do, places to eat, and calling for reservations.

My vote for the Coral Tree! Great Location, Great Price, Great service. We had some extra luggage that was to be shipped to friends in NSW. We were unable to get it in to the post because of size. Lovely Girl at the front desk went far out of her way to not only repack the box but after we left Carines she took it to the bus station paid for the shipping and sent it on its way. It arrived with no worries in NSW and as we noticed the postage was more than what we left. We sent on the balance and a small gift. When we returned to the states she sent a thank you and an items that was left in the room, we would have never missed it but she sent it any way!
Good on ya Mate!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom