Cairns dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluescape

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Greetings!

My first post here. I am planning a week of scuba diving in Great Barrier Reef next month. I'd like some recommendations on which dive shop to go with. Since I am going alone, so I will dive with whatever group going out, preferably with a guide. I don't want live aboard, are there islands in the reef used as a base? just wondering. So a series of day/night dives are expected. Thanks for any suggestions.

Greg

Any particular reason you don't want a liveaboard? I was in a similar situation a couple years ago and the livaboard ended up being the best choice for me -- then again, I'm not good about solo sightseeing (Though I did do the Kuranda sky-rail tour and enjoyed that)

Motion sickness. Given those are small boats and they will be rocking all day long.
BTW, how long is the boat ride from Cairns to the reef? an hour?

I just did a 3 day/2 night liveaboard back in May. Just wanted to say from a sea sickness point of view, once you arrive at reef on the first day, the boat moves very little. I'm not sure anyone on our boat was sea sick on the reef. The reef provides very efficient shelter for the liveaboard.

The journey to/from the reef is another matter though - that got pretty rough. On a liveaboard, that journey is 2-3 hours. I can't speak for the day boats-I think they go to a closer part of the reef.

From what I gathered from @WetPup, the day boats are pretty much cattle boats. I also gathered from her that the further out you go, the better the reefs are, or the further south you go.

FWIW, I did a liveaboard that departs or arrives from Cairns and the actual rocking and seasickness issue is just to and from Osprey Reef on a liveaboard overnight. It was pretty low key within the Ribbon Reefs. I took Dramamine about an hour before departure for both legs out and back from Osprey and it was fine. It was nighttime so we were sleeping.

Maybe she can give you some specific information and suggestions based on your concerns and wishlist. :)

July liveaboards out to the Ribbon Reefs and Osprey are likely sold out at this point anyway. Minke whale season. June/July is always difficult for availability on Mike Ball and Spirit of Freedom.

Day trip boats are all cattle boats, but some are better than others. Try Tusa. Been with them a couple of times when family has visited from out of town. Not great, but seem to be the best of the bunch. Reef is about 90 mins offshore. Seasickness, I also suffer from. Take an over the counter seasick pill just as the boat leaves Cairns marina and another as you pull mooring for the trip back. Easy.

That being said, day trip boats are just that. Day trips. No night dives. Only way to night dive is if you go on a liveaboard.

I would strongly recommend a liveaboard for your trip. Much better experience IMHO and little to no motion. I went with Deep Sea Diver's Den in Cairns as they were the only ones who recognized my c-card (even called it a museum piece!)

Thank all of you for your kind reply and for dispersing my worry about motion sickness. I booked Corral Sea Dream through Diviac for a two-day-and-one-night to try it out. Any experience with them? Is Diviac a reliable agent?

How is the dive at Marine World Platform? I know it is crowded, would it be reasonable choice for a first dive in the GBR?

Back
Top Bottom