Cactus Juice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjach

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We went down to Fantasy Island the last week of April. With all the reading I did on this forum, I decided to buy some cactus juice online. I ordered it a little over 2 weeks before we left for our trip. I know I was cutting it a little short on time, but I was hoping it would be delivered. Well it did not get delivered in time for our trip. It just got delivered yesterday. 6/2/10. Thats about 6 weeks. Thank goodness we bought some other repellent and did not get bothered by the no seeums. I don't know if they lost my order or what happened. Just a word of advise for anyone heading to Roatan and wanting some Cactus Juice. Order early.
Since I have this bottle of Cactus Juice, I can't let it go to waste. I should start planning my next trip to FIBR.

They probably did you a favor. In blind trials, Cactus Juice wasn't as effective as Deet based products.

I used some stuff I bought at Gander mountain that was supposed to be 100% deet. My wife used skin so soft with sun block. Neither one of us had more than a couple of bites, and they were all but gone the next day.

One of the gals going on our trip Sat ordered some Cactus Juice the first of May, figuring a month would be plenty of time. She finally emailed them again this last Monday and finally heard from them.... there has been a shortage from the manufacturer, she could expect delivery by the end of next week.

So she went to Wally World and got some Off.

One of the gals going on our trip Sat ordered some Cactus Juice the first of May, figuring a month would be plenty of time. She finally emailed them again this last Monday and finally heard from them.... there has been a shortage from the manufacturer, she could expect delivery by the end of next week.

So she went to Wally World and got some Off.

maybe they ran low on cactus out there in west Texas :D I thought I had some but went to look yesterday and nope:shakehead: so I will take cutters advanced this trip..first time w/o my cactus juice I will miss the smell :depressed:

Tell Linda to leave me her bottle in the room and I will pick it up :D

no worries I will buy it when I get there :)

How did they find enough blind people for an adequate sample size? :wink:

I have come to the conclusion it is all based on the individual's personal habits of cleaning, eating, drinking, etc. For every person who says deet doesn't work there are equal amounts that it works for. And then there is always a few people who could be in Northern Ontario and not get a single bite. Or like my girlfriend who can get bit by a mosquito in downtown Toronto.

In Utila and Roatan over two weeks I only got bothered the first day and then after that nothing of any concern. Used deet for some of those days, then nothing, and a couple evenings I had cactus juice. But my dive buddy got chewed alive regardless of what he used, and others at the beach bar had similar experiences.

So I'd say it is a matter of trying multiple sprays/creams/foggers/pills and seeing what is most effective for you. Cactus juice sure smells nice though. :)

Last edited:
I agree better advice that ordering early is just plan on getting it there. Seems easier than getting it here. I found CJ did nothing for me though. There was someone who used a vitamin B1 patch and didn't get a single bite, I think I will try that next time.

deco martini ---- nobody says Cactus Juice works better than DEET products.... they say it works well and isn't as harsh as DEET, doesn't cause skin rashes like DEET does to some people, and doesn't melt neoprene like DEET. Cactus Juice also smells nice.... DEET smells like chemicals.

when we were in Roatan it was particularly rainy (Nov) and noseeums were bad. Those at CCV who used the CJ didn't get many bites. Those who didn't use anything got covered in bites. Did it work? IMHO, yes, it worked very well for noseeums.
Did it work for mosquitos also, don't know. I had a small bottle of DeepWoods Off that we sprayed our legs with at dusk each night for them, and I still got one mosquito bite. (Of course, nothing like the mosquito bites I got in Cozumel and Bonaire, where people rarely complain about bugs!)

robin:D

Well, I didn't find it in the West End over the last couple of weeks. And we hit just about every store along the road. We only spent a day shopping in West Bay and Coxen Hole, and didn't see it there either.

I just got an email that mine was shipped yesterday.

As far as getting bit goes, I used my old supply as long as I could and the one night I forgot to re-apply I took some serious bites. My buddy was bitten up pretty bad also, no matter what she used. I think the weather in the 2nd week may have also been a factor and some heavy evening rains and lack of a breeze seemed to increase the number of bugs in the air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom