Cactus Juice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think i have ever been in Plaza Mar and not seen a full display od CJ, yet as others mentioned, it does nothing for me unless I just want to smell like it, I have a bottle or two in my bodega that are just sitting as after buying it I found it did not work for me personally, Just like all other repellants and bug issues i guess a lot has to do with personal body chemistry and what works or doesn't. For many many years the local remedy was simply slathering coconut oil on the skin.

Been there three times and every time the bites itch less. And the swellings aren't quite as disfiguring any more, if still ugly enough. So just keep coming :).

You get Cactus Juice in West Bay at Mangiamo or at Celeste's Island kitchen and store across the road. Have seen it in West End, too, maybe they were out.

To me, you need both: Deet for the sultry evenings when the little vampires are out in full force. Cactus juice or other essential oil blends containing things like lemon eucalyptus for the daytime, when a) there aren't as many bugs, and b), more importantly, you are still going to go diving or swimming! You don't want to get Deet washed on the reef!! Evil stuff.

Found this time by accident the perfect anti-itch remedy for those body zones where I always manage to collect bites due to my sloppy protection habits: really hot water! If you can get it in your room :). First it's like some exquisite pain or itch, half bliss, half torture. But after a minute the pain goes away and I stayed itch-free for many hours after that. No more of the customary 2.00 am trips to the bathroom cabinet for witch hazel!

We went down to Fantasy Island the last week of April. With all the reading I did on this forum, I decided to buy some cactus juice online. I ordered it a little over 2 weeks before we left for our trip. I know I was cutting it a little short on time, but I was hoping it would be delivered. Well it did not get delivered in time for our trip. It just got delivered yesterday. 6/2/10. Thats about 6 weeks. Order early.
Since I have this bottle of Cactus Juice, I can't let it go to waste. I should start planning my next trip to FIBR.

I am going to Fantasy Island in about 3 weeks.
How was it? Did you take anti-malarials prior to your trip?

If you'd be interested in selling your cactus juice to me I'd be happy to buy it, plus shipping (to CA)?

Stu

Another good repellent is made by "Repel" or "Cutter" (same company). It's Lemon Eucalyptus in a pump 4oz bottle. Better than DEET and recommended by the CDC. Good for up to 6 hours. Get it at Walmart or Target sporting goods department.

Better than DEET and recommended by the CDC.

Oh really? Do you have anything to support this? I am most interested. Anybody with any material on this can chime in here also, and it will be highly appreciated. Woody

Oh really? Do you have anything to support this? I am most interested. Anybody with any material on this can chime in here also, and it will be highly appreciated. Woody

Oh Woody,
I was so ready to chime in on this but chose not to, even though I get bbeat up on the deet thing

Check out this link:
Picking The Right Repellent Brochure
and look at the second page of the brochure. The manufacturer states that it is recommended by the CDC and doesn't harm synthetic material (neoprene?). It is made from natural ingredients and should cause no harm to coral.

CDC link here:
CDC: West Nile Virus - Updated Insect Repellent

Since it won't harm synthetics or reef, it is, in my opinion, better to use than DEET-based products.

Has anyone tried calling the corporate office and finding a local distributor? That's what I did before my trip. Turns out a local dive shop carries Cactus Juice. A little more expensive than online, but garanteed you'll have it for your trip.

Since it won't harm synthetics or reef, it is, in my opinion, better to use than DEET-based products.
Deet has never been shown to hurt the reef either so throw that one out and. to tell you the truth, I can buy Deet products for about a quarter the price of the others. I want to help but its the same when I go to Office Depot and find I can buy a rheem of new paper for a dollar less than recycled with less quality then I must choose new.
I guess if i were slathering it on around my nikons and housings it may matter but I use repellant topside and for the most part the synthetic thing should not be an issue. Heck, My stupid casio watch , been to about 400 feet , has a glass bezel, as do all my guages except for my computer that has failed for no deet related reason. Was at about 240, squeezed through a restriction and suddenly it had me at 550. I hated to give it back to Suunto as now I was in a top group of cave divers if we just looked at computers, but that was the only way they would give me a new one. I never heard that deet was the issue and to be honest, in the 4 hours of extra deco i never figured deet was the problem
I guess if your using plastic guages and plastic camera optics and slathering on the deet before a dive then this could be an issue, but seriously, is there anyone that involved that doesn't know how to take care of stuff?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom