Cabo - What Time of Year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Valwood1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there a preferred time of year for diving at Cabo, when the marine life is "better" than at other times? How is early November when compared to other times?

There can be good critters at the beginning of November (whale sharks, hammerheads, and sea lion pups are a good age), but the water temps generally take a big dip around then, too, going from the low 80s into the mid 70s.

I, myself prefer Cabo in May... from the many times I have been there, that is still the best month to for all around... After June, it can become very very HOT!! It is the desert. Water warms up, but also so does the outside air.

Valwood1:
Is there a preferred time of year for diving at Cabo, when the marine life is "better" than at other times? How is early November when compared to other times?

I like early Nov in Cabo, it is before the Holiday rush and their seems to be less tourists around. Early is the key, several DM's that I have talked to say that the water does a wierd inversion thing and it goes greenish and a bit murky in mid to late november and it cools off too. I wish I could remember what they called it.
I have dove in Feb (cool water 66 - 70 degrees) but pretty good vis, April (cool water 70 to 73) and May (still cool), July was warmer and still pretty good vis, September is my favourite, warm water (80 - 84) with fairly good visibility but a possibility of a hurricane messing up the vis and closing the port for a couple days and November (77 - 82 degrees) with good vis.
have fun! Choco

Hi Chocoholic,

Three water masses mix off Cabo San Lucas: the saline outflow from the Gulf of California, the relatively fresh and cooler waters from the the California Current and warmer Equatorial Water of intermediate salinity.

At certain times of the year these can create both thermoclines and haloclines.

Regards,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom