Cabo San Lucas dive report: Pelican Rock and Land's End, 4-11Sep2004

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlndavid:
Did you say there was some shore diving in Cabo?
Yes, Chileno Beach is available for shore diving. There is also a dive op there (Club Aqua Deportes, I think.) It's popular among both locals and tourists for snorkeling as well. Chileno Beach is about halfway between CSL and San Jose de los Cabos in the Corridor, well-marked along Hwy 1.

WaterWayne:
While I can't speak for the Westin, the Fiesta Americana never relaxed their own red-flag warning (do not swim) in the week I was there. Nonetheless, at least one couple went snorkeling for quite a while at the F.A. beach. However, one of my dive group members said that when he went jogging along the beach at his resort, a hotel employee was watching the beach, and warned him not to try the water.

So it seems that different resorts have different approaches to enforcing the "do not swim" rules.

September 5th, 2004 Oh yeah, lots of other people are doing it..... The flag was down - no red, no black with a "guard" watching the beach and cautioned some people not to take their four year old in the water at Sheraton Hacienda del Mar in the corridor. There were about ten people body surfing and i thought well, other people are doing it and why not..... well, I was tossed around like a rag doll. Not so much fun with a bunch of sand in your hair. They put up the black flag shortly thereafter.

You can shore dive from either Santa Maria or Chileno (about 13 or 14 km logical N of Cabo). Cabo Acuadeportes rents gear at Chileno; otherwise, you have to haul. There are rock formations on either side of Santa Maria beach that host lots of interesting critters; there's a rock reef on the logical S side of Chileno, near the Cabo Acuadeportes shack.

You could also shore dive from Lover's beach in Cabo, but you have to take a water taxi go get there, so what's the point of shore diving if you have to take a boat...

Back
Top Bottom