Cabo Pulmo worth the drive & $$ ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmrangel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all
Me and a dive buddy will be in Cabo San Lucas from July 30 to Aug 4. We are planning on doing several local and corridor dives (2 to 4 dives a day). Wondering if a day trip to Cabo Pulmo at that time would be worth the extra 4~5 hrs driving and additional $140 ? What should we expect in term of vis/temp/critters ?

Have not dove there before so any thoughts would be helpful. Have searched but know things vary over the time of year.

Thanks for any feedback!!

Thanks for the info MaxE. Sounds like Cabo Pulmo was a good dive.

I have exactly 2 dives in the bay and 2 in Cabo Pulmo (not exactly a huge sample size) I’ll likley skip the bay next time. Cabo Pulmo was a blast for me
Same situation here, though I don't plan on skipping the bay next time, I would go back to Cabo Pulmo as well.

Hi all
Me and a dive buddy will be in Cabo San Lucas from July 30 to Aug 4. We are planning on doing several local and corridor dives (2 to 4 dives a day). Wondering if a day trip to Cabo Pulmo at that time would be worth the extra 4~5 hrs driving and additional $140 ? What should we expect in term of vis/temp/critters ?

Have not dove there before so any thoughts would be helpful. Have searched but know things vary over the time of year.

Thanks for any feedback!!
My friends and I went to Cabo Pulmo for a week in August two years ago. It is well worth it. We stayed in bungalows and had an all inclusive meal package. The diving was very good. We saw lots of fish and the food was excellent. The water temp was in the the 70's. We wore 5 mm wet suits (you can rent all your dive gear). The visibility depended on the day but averaged about 80 feet. If you go bring a good flashlight because you literally cannot see your hand in front of your face at night. But you will be able to see every star in the sky. We all agree we'd go there again. There are just fans in the bungalows so if you go in the summer, like we did, be prepared for the heat at night.

I've been to both places several times. I'd skip the CSL & go straight to Cabo Pulmo if I were you.

I saw all these, below in Cabo Pulmo:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
View attachment 468816
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks all for the feedback, especially Dan_T for the great photos!! We are operating out of Cabo San Lucas because my dive buddy has a timeshare there so we are pretty much stuck with staying there. But, based on all the positive things said above, we will be taking the day trip up to Cabo Pulmo for sure.

It’s a beautiful drive to Cabo Pulmo, with scenic granite mountains, cactus, a dry valleys. Plus, the drive does not take too much time. Have fun

Absolutely worth the drive.
We were underwhelmed by the diving off of San Jose (Corridor and Gordo Banks). Cabo Pulmo is many times better and I've meant to go back for a longer trip ever since.

cm, if you're going to drive to CP be sure to plan ahead. I spent a week there a few years back and did a lot of research in planning the trip. I found that most rental car companies explicitly forbid driving to CP with their cars because the last 6 miles or so is dirt road. How would they know? you might ask. I dunno, but it's worth checking these things out before you get there.

Other than that... yeah, the diving was great and they have bull sharks. And there is (or at least was, I'm assuming it's still there...) a nice little place to have beer and tacos with a covered patio right next to where the boats are put into the water. We spent every afternoon there, for a few hours, after diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom