Cabo Pulmo - Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

colonelchuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Plan to spend a few days at Cabo Pulmo in July. I am familiar with the dive operators, but I have seen little information about shore diving. From aerial photos and my one snorkeling trip, it seems like that should be a pretty good experience. Anybody have any experience from the shore? Thanks

Chuck, no answers re shore diving, but you've inspired three questions from me, please:
(1) Do you know anything about Cabo Pulmo Divers (Castro family)? They were highly recommended to me by a Mexican Tourism Bureau guest speaker here in Dallas. They seem to rely for information and reservations on a U.S.-based property mgt person who doesn't do email well. This individual claims there are no reliable phone lines in Cabo Pulmo?
(2) Would it be better to arrange through one of the C.S.L. shops for dives up the east coast, or take my chances in driving up there myself to deal with the locals? (Spanish-fluent, "ain't skeered" )
(3) Is it worthwhile/feasible to cross the Sea of Cortez to dive San Carlos, on the mainland?

TIA! Looking forward to your trip report, as I'll be there in early September.

WaterWayne:
Chuck, no answers re shore diving, but you've inspired three questions from me, please:
(1) Do you know anything about Cabo Pulmo Divers (Castro family)? They were highly recommended to me by a Mexican Tourism Bureau guest speaker here in Dallas. They seem to rely for information and reservations on a U.S.-based property mgt person who doesn't do email well. This individual claims there are no reliable phone lines in Cabo Pulmo?
(2) Would it be better to arrange through one of the C.S.L. shops for dives up the east coast, or take my chances in driving up there myself to deal with the locals? (Spanish-fluent, "ain't skeered" )
(3) Is it worthwhile/feasible to cross the Sea of Cortez to dive San Carlos, on the mainland?

TIA! Looking forward to your trip report, as I'll be there in early September.

Wayne. I'll be there this weekend and see what kind of information I can pick up for you. I do know that hotel folks in Cabo call phone Cabo Pulmo to set up reservations. I would have reservations before going up there from Cabo just to make sure that the operator I chose was going out that day. Take a look at the map. San Carlos could take you several days to get to, dive and return from Cabo San Lucas.

More when I get back.

Wayne,

I recommend both Pepe and Cabo Pulmo Beach Resort (in Cabo Pulmo). Pepe is the smaller of the two. I did not dive with Cabo Pulmo Divers (but I walked over to their shop) when I was in Cabo Pulmo. They are a bit more expensive than the other two operators.

Pepe leaves at 9AM and CPBR leaves at 10AM.

No problem in driving from Cabo San Lucas/San Jose Del Cabo to Cabo Pulmo. It is a 2 hour drive and the last 6 miles are on dirt road. I made the trip a total of 3 times when I was in Cabo in June (2004)...

Richard

Back
Top Bottom