Cabo in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jc60625

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hey all... i know January is about the worst time to go to Cabo, but i'll be there on business so i figured why not get in the water? I was just curious if there were any dive sites worth checking out during that time of the year... luckily, being from chicago, i don't mind cold water. :wink:

I don't know where you got that "Jan is the worst time to go to Cabo" stuff, but I have
dove Baja at many diff times of the year and Cabo is just fine in Jan. I was there last year during the last week of Jan. and I had some great diving and took some excellent
photos. I'm going back end of Jan/early Feb again. It's not "cold" in Jan, a thin shorty wet suit is all you need, mainly as protection from "stingers". Of course it's all relative.
I'm from So/Cal so its a good winter dive destination. It couldnt be any colder than
Chicago. Of course its warmer at other times of the year. Try Chileno Beach or Cabo Pulmo/any east Cape areas.

Jerry

I guess I'd like to comment somewhere between the worst time and the best time....I go to Cabo in late February and am going again this coming February. While the diving is o.k., winter diving in Cabo isn't to be compared to the Caymans or Cozumel. The water isn't as clear and in my experience the water temps at that time of year are in the high 60's. I own two wetsuits, a 7mm farmer john and a 3mm jumpsuit. I have used the 7mm the last two February trips to Cabo and it is clearly more rubber than anyone would need. I hesitate to dive the 3mm because I have been on a number of dives there where the people in 3mm suits are very cold between dives. This year I'm thinking about taking the 3mm and wearing the top to my 7mm or maybe buying a vest to keep my core warmer. All that said, if you are going to be there you should dive. Getting wet beats just hanging out on the beach. Joe

jc60625:
hey all... i know January is about the worst time to go to Cabo, but i'll be there on business so i figured why not get in the water? I was just curious if there were any dive sites worth checking out during that time of the year... luckily, being from chicago, i don't mind cold water. :wink:

The whales should be there. Also the vis is better, I think. The water will be chilly, in the low 60's but a 5mm should be fine. I wear a hood too, when I dive early Feb. I also wear a light coat when we go out at night. I am a warm water wuss!
Have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom