Cabo dive sites for a 14 year old?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ippy01

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looks like our family is going to steal a few days in Cabo in mid-April. I've read a lot of very informative posts about diving there -- sounds like a mixed bag.

My specific question involves my newly-certified (December, 06) 14 year old son. He's a decent diver for his age and experience level. But, it sounds like some of the dive sites in Cabo are deeper and more appropriate for advanced divers.

Does anyone have any insight here? Any sites to specifically avoid? Or, any particularly good ones for young, inexperienced diver?

I will be going back on 4/9-13.
It is relatively cool water (Pacific).
From what I remember the sand spill was about 90-ish fsw. The closer sites to town are in the 50-70 range. There were also a couple of beaches that you could do shore dives ~15-25 fsw.
I will check my dive log tomorrow night, if you can, PM me and and I will let you know what I found.

ippy01:
Looks like our family is going to steal a few days in Cabo in mid-April. I've read a lot of very informative posts about diving there -- sounds like a mixed bag.

My specific question involves my newly-certified (December, 06) 14 year old son. He's a decent diver for his age and experience level. But, it sounds like some of the dive sites in Cabo are deeper and more appropriate for advanced divers.

Does anyone have any insight here? Any sites to specifically avoid? Or, any particularly good ones for young, inexperienced diver?

I just looked at my dive log and it is a mixed bag for sure. Some of the dives on Pelican Rock were to a max depth of 55 some were down to 75 with an average around 60. The Across the Bay sites of the Blow hole, and Santa Maria were shallow avg 60. The Pacific side of Los Arcos was max 62 on my dive. Even on Neptune's Finger one dive was to max 60 the next time was max. 80.
You can just mention to the DM the age of your son and being newly certified and that you will NOT be going deeper than XX depth, then let the DM lead and stay above the DM by 5 to 10 feet. As in if the DM is at 65, just don't go that deep with your son. Stress the fact that your son has a 40 or 60 (or whatever it is) foot depth maximum to the DM and dive shop and then stick to your guns when you dive. Most of the dive spots have reef at most depths and you just swim around it on your safety stop at 15 feet and look at fish while you off-gas. A couple dive spots you will be hanging at 15 feet looking at sandy bottom or you might be looking at the top of a reef 20 feet below but most of the spots are close to land so you have structure with stuff on it to look at at most depths.
Ask about the surge and current, when we dove the back side of Los Arcos -the Pacific Side - and near the Sea Lion Colony there was a pretty big surge. Pelican Rock is closest to the marina and is usually calm, that is where they do the check off dives where they evaluate divers before they will take them anywhere else.
The water will be kinda cool in mid-April, I'm guessing high 60s to low 70s (looking at my dive log for 16Apr04 it was 69 and 70 F).
If you dive with Amigos Del Mar ask for Danny to be your dive master, he teaches PADI OW and AOW and is very good with newbies. Have fun.

H2OU:
Update - Danny works for Conquest Adventures now. He is a great instructor.

Really? The same Danny with the gold front tooth? Daniel Zapata?

do you happen to know if Julio and/or Vickie are still working in the area?

ippy01:

Hello diver;The wall that runs from the Marina to the point Starts at 20ft. and you can stay from 20 to 45 ft. and see everything Cabo has to offer. Ther is more sea life on the top of the walls than there is down deep.Cabo has some of the best shallow Dive that I have seen anywhere.Most Divers that dive there are once a year Divers.The shop I use always has a divemaster or instructor leading the Dives.
Contact www.baja-dive.net/ for More Info.
Good Diving

I did a couple of shore dives at Chelano Beach which is between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose last summer. They were 40' max, just followed the rocks off from the south (or southwest?) side of the beach out and back. No noticible current. We did them as twilight dives, out as dusk with visibility and back as a night dive. Some of the typical reef fish, a couple of eels to see. Just a nice easy dive. The big caution is to NOT leave anything of value in your car, even in the trunk. Our rental car was broken into and we lost our clothes and wallets, my gear bag and some misc odds and ends like my sandles. Fortuneately we didn't have much in the way of money or credit cards, that we left in the hotel safe. Found out later from the dive shop, Underwater Diversions, that some other divers had their gear stolen while they were relaxing on the beach after an earlier dive. Very sad as there aren't many spots in the area considered decent for shore diving as far as I've found.

Nancy

Thank you to everyone for all the help -- much appreciated!

Chocoholic,
I can't recall Danny's last name, but he used to work for Amigos Del Mar and on the Solmar V.
I do not know if Julio or Vickie are still working in that area.

Back
Top Bottom