Cabanas in Ambergris Caye?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sevimo

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post here! There are tons of great information on this forum, and I've been reading up on Belize for a few days, but I still have a few questions...

My girlfriend and I are going to Belize for a week or so, at the end of July, and it seems to me that we'll end up in / around San Pedro. While the primary goal of the trip is diving, I understand that this is not a high season and we would like to be able to have something to do in case weather won't cooperate - plus I understand SP is a pretty good place for eating out (at least you have multiple options!). We're not really into nightlife per se anymore :)

There were quite a few recommendations on lodging, but it seems to me that most of these are condo / hotel type; for whatever reason, on tropical vacation we really like to stay in cabana-type places, preferably right on the beach, a bit secluded, with hammock/recliner and all that. I didn't see many cabanas at all - with the exception of Ramon's Villages. Their beachfront cabanas look pretty much like what we would like to have; yet I've seen some negative feedback for Ramon's around here. So my question is - what's wrong with Ramon's (if anything), and are there any other places around that provide similar accommodations? Or perhaps you can convince me that cabanas are not that great, and we should look at more traditional rooms? :wink:

Thank you in advance!

If you are looking for things to do besides dive and dine, consider Placencia where you can zipline, river tube, horseback ride, visit maya ruins, hke in the worlds largest jaguar sanctuary, Monkey River, etc as well as dive and dine.
Regards
Ralph

Thanks Carlos and Ralph, I looked into both places before. TBR would look like a great place for me, with diving very close, seclusion etc, but my GF would like to have access to some kind of town, and I believe you don't really have easy access to San Pedro from there. So that would be a tough sell :)

Placencia also looks like a decent place, but my understanding is that boat rides are rather long (at least comparing to Ambergris), and we won't have much time to do extensive mainland activities anyway. Plus, I've spent quite a bit of time in Guatemala mainland fairly recently.

I looked at other places (like atolls etc), and it's the same thing as with TB. So that's why I picked San Pedro general area - the question is, what there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom