C5050 Package + Strobe + lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah...that's what I meant! Thanks for the clarification, Walter.

I havent decided specifically on the Batts, but yes in that capacity range. I was offered an Olympus charger and their batts. One of the biggest hurdels of shopping in Korea is the language barrier with the salespersons. English is rarely their strong side. Any comments on the Olympus batteries?
The Olys are OK batts - solid performance - but I suspect they're more expensive in equivalent capacities. Try and get hold of Sanyo NiMHs and the new Sanyo charger looks good too: w3cube.com.
I am aware of the step up ring, thanks. Think the CLA-5 makes the stepup ring unnecessary.
The CLA-5 is actually the CLA-1 extension tube bundled with a 43-55 step-up ring (SUR4355)
I am looking in more detail on the D-180. Seems like a good match for the 5050. One question: How does the focus light work together with the camera?
You can either push the button on the strobe and it'll stay on for a few seconds or you could lock the button and the light will stay on - the focus light will go off when the strobe fires. You'll find a detailed pdf manual of the D-180 here: digitaldiver library
Any suggestion on tray and arm?
Probably the new Fisheye tray with flexible locline arm is the most economical. Or upgrade to ULCS ball-clamp arms. Yuzo's website: tray and arms.
How well does it go on the road? After all it is a harddisk? Any alternatives in case I can't find it here in Korea?
The Xs Drive Pro is the cheapest protable device I could find - you can't view the pictures but it does its job as a card dump. The hard drive is a standard 2.5" laptop disk - you can upgrade by adding a larger one yourself. I haven't had any issues with it yet. It is a USB 2.0 device - I added a USB 2.0 PCI card($15-20) to my PC the other day and it flys: 134MB file from card or HDD to PC - USB1.0: 2mins 40s, USB2.0: 35s. You can contact Vosonic, Taiwan for dealers in your region, they are very responsive: Vosonic. You mentioned you were coming to Australia. You can order it from powerinnumbers.com.au and have it mailed to an Aus. address, or international if you choose. Their prices are good and they're very responsive too.
HTH

Q: Is there a shortcut to get the camera to go directly to focus on manual-infinity? This has previously been needed when shooting through glass, like a dirty bus window.
The manual states that "Even if you move the cursor to the top of the distance indicator focussing is not possible at infinity" - I haven't actually tested the effects of this statement yet. The quickest way I can think of is to:
- in AF mode pre-focus the camera to something at infinity by half-pressing the shutter release button
- keeping the shutter release half-pressed press and release the AF/Macro/MF button. The camera will kick into MF mode with the focussing distance set at the AF pre-focus distance

Word of caution: DONOT press the lens of the C5050 to the glass when shooting through it - the front element protudes out of the lens barrel and you will end up scratching it.

"Sometime last night that came to me... doh!"

The difference is I remember when it was marketed in the US as Tabata and saw the transition. There's no reason a youngster like you should have even heard of Tabata.

Mo2vation:
Lots of things get disco'ed without a suitable or comparable replacement.

I've seen both, and the FL40 and FL20 aren't in the same league. The FL50 is there, but not the FL20. The FL20 is clearly designed as a step into the FL50 - as a smaller camera-top flash.

K

never said they were in the same league, i said it was a budget flash.

half the guide number and a quater of the price.

the fl-50 is even more expensive, costing more than the camera.

the fl-20 would make a hell of a difference to the 5050 though for normal everyday use!

clive francis:
the fl-40 can be an expensive flash, the fl-20 is a good/better budget flash that does everything the 5050 needs

If your needs are a budget flash.

K

First of all thanks a lot for your information all of you. I went out wednesday evening and got the following (starter) pack:
C5050
PT-015
Oly BT-70 Charger + 8 Olympus 2100 mAh batteries
RM-1
1 Kingston 512 MB CF
1 RiData 512 CF
a USB 1.1 CF card reader

It is a delight to use. One question. What is your experience with the internal noise reduction. On or off???

ReyeR:
The Olys are OK batts - solid performance - but I suspect they're more expensive in equivalent capacities. Try and get hold of Sanyo NiMHs and the new Sanyo charger looks good too: w3cube.com.
I actually saw the Sanyo batteries (also 2100) but not the charger.
The oly states fully charging of 4 * 2100 takes 240 minuts. I discussed with the store and their opinion was that the quick chargers were not able to charge the batteries 100%. Actually their opinion was that the Oly charges them appx. 80% and quickchargers even less.

ReyeR:
Probably the new Fisheye tray with flexible locline arm is the most economical. Or upgrade to ULCS ball-clamp arms. Yuzo's website: tray and arms.
I will look into that. Thanks for the URL. I understand many are happy with purchase from him, and will consider that. Think I will take my aussi trip without extra strobe, and see how it goes first time out.

ReyeR:
The Xs Drive Pro is the cheapest protable device I could find - you can't view the pictures but it does its job as a card dump. The hard drive is a standard 2.5" laptop disk - you can upgrade by adding a larger one yourself. I haven't had any issues with it yet. It is a USB 2.0 device - I added a USB 2.0 PCI card($15-20) to my PC the other day and it flys: 134MB file from card or HDD to PC - USB1.0: 2mins 40s, USB2.0: 35s. You can contact Vosonic, Taiwan for dealers in your region, they are very responsive: Vosonic. You mentioned you were coming to Australia. You can order it from powerinnumbers.com.au and have it mailed to an Aus. address, or international if you choose. Their prices are good and they're very responsive too.
HTH
Again thanks for the URLs. I looked at the price in Denmark, and it was quite high (350 US$ or so). Will check the aussi price and look into it.
Still not sure whether to go for this option or just bring the laptop.

ReyeR:
The manual states that "Even if you move the cursor to the top of the distance indicator focussing is not possible at infinity" - I haven't actually tested the effects of this statement yet. The quickest way I can think of is to:
- in AF mode pre-focus the camera to something at infinity by half-pressing the shutter release button
- keeping the shutter release half-pressed press and release the AF/Macro/MF button. The camera will kick into MF mode with the focussing distance set at the AF pre-focus distance

Word of caution: DONOT press the lens of the C5050 to the glass when shooting through it - the front element protudes out of the lens barrel and you will end up scratching it.
This is strange. On the display the MF meter shows the far end as infinity.
Good clue on how to pass by this issue, although the problem primarily occurs when you cant get the camera to focus on infinity in the first place.

Thanks for the caution! I had not noticed this, which could lead to unfortunate incidents.

I will try this weekend to evaluate the speed of the two types of cards, and will post them here for comparisson with the card test on http://www.wrotniak.net

Cheers

Stephen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom