C5050 Package + Strobe + lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TedJ:
The fl-40 was also discontinued some time ago.

Lots of things get disco'ed without a suitable or comparable replacement.

I've seen both, and the FL40 and FL20 aren't in the same league. The FL50 is there, but not the FL20. The FL20 is clearly designed as a step into the FL50 - as a smaller camera-top flash.

K

jebir:
I am using the AC power cord when taking studio shots because that is the only way to prevent the camera from entering the sleep mode (saving power) after 3 minutes.

Cheers, Jens.

Can the 5050 be tethered? Just curious. I REALLY wish is could...but probably not, huh?

Thanks -

K

Mo2vation:
Can the 5050 be tethered? Just curious. I REALLY wish is could...but probably not, huh?

No, I don't think so. Mine gives me a break only when it is asleep.

Cheers, Jens.

Mo2vation:
IMNSHO, of all the lenses (better, lens adapters) for the Oly C4,5XXX line, the wide and macro are the only ones worth considering. The Macro does rule, and comes with a flash diffuser. The wide also rules for indoor, family pics, etc. I had them all, and ended up keeping the Wide, selling both the Macro and the Tele.

Where you getting your Batts? They're the 2200 or the 2300's, right?

The RM-1 should come with the cam.

Don't forget your lens armor - a CLA-1. I use a step ring from 43 - 55 (and a 55 B+W skylight), as my wide was a 55, and 55 filters are easier to find. I shoot on a stroboframe with the FL40 flash - beware that a 55 will leave a shadow if you are only using the on-cam flash. You may want to stick with a 43.

I never, and I mean NEVER once have ever used the AC power cable - that was $25 down the drain. Get a card reader - much cheaper than the AC adapter.
Thanks for your comments. You are probably right, that the wide will be of most use... Cant see I will carry both around on a vacation anyways...

I havent decided specifically on the Batts, but yes in that capacity range. I was offered an Olympus charger and their batts. One of the biggest hurdels of shopping in Korea is the language barrier with the salespersons. English is rarely their strong side. Any comments on the Olympus batteries?

In Asia it does not seem like the RM-1 comes with the camera.

I am aware of the step up ring, thanks. Think the CLA-5 makes the stepup ring unnecessary. Still uncertain if I should take the addon lens as well in the negociation of a bundle. Will probably do without initially.

Thanks for the info on usage of the adapter. I will consider a cardreader instead... Any suggestions and/or reviews?
Any problems with panorama images stored on the Olympus xD card to be transfered through the card reader?

Gillian:
2. I agree with Mo2vation on the strobe. Land and water don't mix on the types. I'm using the Inon D-180 on my Oly PT-010 and like it. Very compact and has a built in focus light that goes off with the shutter release. It is fiber optic activated.
Thanks for the info. I am looking in more detail on the D-180. Seems like a good match for the 5050. One question: How does the focus light work together with the camera?
Any suggestion on tray and arm?

sapphire:
I notice you mention an XD and a "Smart" card (do you mean "Smart Media" Card ?) but not a compact flash (CF) card. I prefer it, as the write time is supposed to be faster, but also it is sturdier than the other thin cards. I just purchased a 1 GB CF based on other recommendations I gleaned from the board, and am very happy with it...
Yes I was not precise here. Was thinking of Smart Media, but based on speed it seems like the CF I/II is a better choice. From tests it seems like there can be great differences in speeds between combos of camera and card. From http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/c5050/c5050-card.html it seems like the only CF to avoid with the 5050 is the Sandisk (actually what I was intending to buy LOL).

ReyeR:
Do you really need a 128 xD card - money better spent on a larger CF card, perhaps a fast 1GB Sandisk Ultra II or a Transcend 45x or even a portable hard drive device like the Xs-Drive Pro.
Good question. I thought of the 128 xD in order to have the Panorama feature available. Might not be needed... Thanks for making me reconsider...

The Xs-Drive Pro seems very interesting, in order to avoid taking the Laptop on vacation, and still have some music <g>. It is a little costly, although very interesting.
How well does it go on the road? After all it is a harddisk?
Any alternatives in case I can't find it here in Korea?

Scubatooth:
question are you planning on using the T-Con 17 underwater ?? or on land,
On land. They are more or less to cover the range of my old SLR.

jebir:
The TCON-17 should be as good from what I have heard.

I am using the AC power cord when taking studio shots because that is the only way to prevent the camera from entering the sleep mode (saving power) after 3 minutes. I also use it when downloading the pics to the computer straight from the camera. No card reader needed but the camera is stuck at the computer while downloading - go for coffee - no time lost!
The lenses have been reviewed on http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/c5050/wcon-tcon.html.
Of course the alternative is to use the panoramic feature, and stitch the images together.

The cord was intended for the downloading, but I like the idea of something like the Xs-Drive-Pro, to avoid the computer on vacation. Problem will of course be not being able to judge the shots before comming home.

------
I am still hesitant to invest in the strobes since I will probably only do one or two dive vacations per year. The camera shall serve me during the full year, and especially on trips and here above and below water. First of all I will need it during my upcomming Australia trip in 3 weeks time...

Thanks for all your comments. They continue to improve my awareness of the digital photo world (above and below water) I am about to enter.

Cheers

Stephen Odgaard

Went to the store today and had the chance to play around with the C5050 for an hour or so.

I am really impressed with the features and the intuitive layout of menues and functions. Great piece. The super macro function is just amazing. The tele I find somewhat limited (why do they call it 3x when its actually comparable to 105 mm EFL which is rather 2x)

I was surprised about the TIFF write & read time to the 128 MB xD card i borrowed. it was working hard with the files both for the initial save, and subsequently for the view on the LCD. Slow indeed.

I tried it in a superstore with difficult neon lighting conditions. It focused perfectly through glass montres as well as long distance. I enjoyed the manual focus as well.

Q: Is there a shortcut to get the camera to go directly to focus on manual-infinity? This has previously been needed when shooting through glass, like a dirty bus window.

It seems I am able to get RiData 512 MB cards, but not 1 GB here. So will prob. take two of these.

As for batteries there were two kinds: Olympus or Sony. Both 2100 mAh.
Q: What is the difference between the BU-70SE and BU-80SE international chargers?

Sodgaard:
In connection with the possible purchase of C5050 and PT-015. I will mainly use the camera on land, but want the opertunity to use the camera underwater during dive vacations once or twice a year.
In connection with this I request the advice of this fantastic board.

Anyone have any land experience with the TCON-17 (x1.7) tele that Olympus offers for the C5050? Is it worth investing in? I am used to having my 200 mm lens for my film SLR, which I would like to replace by this camera.

Is there any flash/strobe that can be used both on land and during diving?

I am considering buying a Sea & Sea PS-25 DX, plus arm and tray.
Can this be used on land?

As far as I can see I should invest in the following:

1) Initially:
C5050 standard package.
Battery charger + 8 batteries NiMH
AC Power cable
128 MB XD card
512 MB Smart card
RM-1 remote control
PT-015 housing with extra Orings.

2) Option
PS-25 DX #16980
4 extra NiMH batteries
DX base stay #21130
DX arm #21140
optic sync cable

3) Option
TCON-17 Tele lens plus required converter

Any general comments to the above configurations and choices are extremely welcome. Thanks in advance!!!

Just read that Sea and Sea is going out of business.

Sea & Sea is NOT going out of business. They have closed their USA 'office'. I think it's TUSA (I think) who will be the distributor. Alot of orders got lost or put on the back burner in the shuffle, orders caught in the middle of the exchange were not forwarded. So if you have something on order, check with who you bought it from to see if it needs to be re-ordered.

Dee:
Sea & Sea is NOT going out of business. They have closed their USA 'office'. I think it's TUSA (I think) who will be the distributor. Alot of orders got lost or put on the back burner in the shuffle, orders caught in the middle of the exchange were not forwarded. So if you have something on order, check with who you bought it from to see if it needs to be re-ordered.

This was reported in Undercurrent yesterday...

Sea and Sea U.S. Goes Out of Business
======================
The U.S. distributor of Sea and Sea underwater photo gear has
closed its doors, but Tabata U.S.A. will handle Sea and Sea
warranty and service issues at four professional camera service
centers: Underwater Photo Tech (New Hampshire, 603-432-1997),
Underwater Camera Repair (Florida, 305-234-0903), In-Depth Camera
Repair (Colorado, 970-224-1071), Sub Aquatics Camera Repair
Company (California, 831-484-6230). Or call Tabata at
562-498-3708 for more information.

Thanks, Saffire. Tabata is TUSA's parent company, I just couldn't remember the name! Of those repair facilities, In-Depth Camera Repair is my favorite. And if you are in Cozumel and need repairs, Armando at Island Photo is an authorized S&S repairman. And yes, I've used him several times!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom