C5050 Package + Strobe + lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sodgaard

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
In connection with the possible purchase of C5050 and PT-015. I will mainly use the camera on land, but want the opertunity to use the camera underwater during dive vacations once or twice a year.
In connection with this I request the advice of this fantastic board.

Anyone have any land experience with the TCON-17 (x1.7) tele that Olympus offers for the C5050? Is it worth investing in? I am used to having my 200 mm lens for my film SLR, which I would like to replace by this camera.

Is there any flash/strobe that can be used both on land and during diving?

I am considering buying a Sea & Sea PS-25 DX, plus arm and tray.
Can this be used on land?

As far as I can see I should invest in the following:

1) Initially:
C5050 standard package.
Battery charger + 8 batteries NiMH
AC Power cable
128 MB XD card
512 MB Smart card
RM-1 remote control
PT-015 housing with extra Orings.

2) Option
PS-25 DX #16980
4 extra NiMH batteries
DX base stay #21130
DX arm #21140
optic sync cable

3) Option
TCON-17 Tele lens plus required converter

Any general comments to the above configurations and choices are extremely welcome. Thanks in advance!!!

Sodgaard:
In connection with the possible purchase of C5050 and PT-015. I will mainly use the camera on land, but want the opertunity to use the camera underwater during dive vacations once or twice a year.

Anyone have any land experience with the TCON-17 (x1.7) tele that Olympus offers for the C5050? Is it worth investing in? I am used to having my 200 mm lens for my film SLR, which I would like to replace by this camera.

1) Initially:
C5050 standard package.
AC Power cable
128 MB XD card
512 MB Smart card
RM-1 remote control

2) Option
PS-25 DX #16980
4 extra NiMH batteries
DX base stay #21130
DX arm #21140
optic sync cable

3) Option

Any general comments to the above configurations and choices are extremely welcome. Thanks in advance!!!

The TCON 1.7 is a reissue of sorts of the now very-hard-to-find Oly B300. The B300 is about the best piece of glass Oly made. Originally for 35mm cams, all of us oldtimers ringed them up for our C30XX cams. I enjoyed mine, for sure. But I ended up selling it. Its simply easier to shoot on SHQ or TIFF and crop for close up than settle for 1.7, lose the light and schlep the glass.

IMNSHO, of all the lenses (better, lens adapters) for the Oly C4,5XXX line, the wide and macro are the only ones worth considering. The Macro does rule, and comes with a flash diffuser. The wide also rules for indoor, family pics, etc. I had them all, and ended up keeping the Wide, selling both the Macro and the Tele.

Where you getting your Batts? They're the 2200 or the 2300's, right?

The RM-1 should come with the cam.

Don't forget your lens armor - a CLA-1. I use a step ring from 43 - 55 (and a 55 B+W skylight), as my wide was a 55, and 55 filters are easier to find. I shoot on a stroboframe with the FL40 flash - beware that a 55 will leave a shadow if you are only using the on-cam flash. You may want to stick with a 43.

I never, and I mean NEVER once have ever used the AC power cable - that was $25 down the drain. Get a card reader - much cheaper than the AC adapter.

My understanding is the in-water strobes use a fibre optic or other method to secure an accurate flash. Why would you mess with all that hoopla on land?

For land flash, I use the Oly FL40. Its TTL so the cam controls it.

Some thoughts -

K

PS: this might assist.

35.gif

1. I agree with Mo2vation on the card reader. I have an a/c adaptor that I used while travelling in Mexico. At home I use a card reader I bought at Costco. After returning home from a dive I simply switch out the card for an empty one. Easiest way to go.
2. I agree with Mo2vation on the strobe. Land and water don't mix on the types. I'm using the Inon D-180 on my Oly PT-010 and like it. Very compact and has a built in focus light that goes off with the shutter release. It is fiber optic activated.

Can't help you on the other items as I don't use a land strobe or add on lenses at this time.

Sodgaard:

1) Initially:
C5050 standard package.
AC Power cable
128 MB XD card
512 MB Smart card
RM-1 remote control

2) Option
PS-25 DX #16980
4 extra NiMH batteries
DX base stay #21130
DX arm #21140
optic sync cable

3) Option

I notice you mention an XD and a "Smart" card (do you mean "Smart Media" Card ?) but not a compact flash (CF) card. I prefer it, as the write time is supposed to be faster, but also it is sturdier than the other thin cards. I just purchased a 1 GB CF based on other recommendations I gleaned from the board, and am very happy with it...

You're on the right track. Some comments

By 512 MB Smart card I presume you mean 512 Compact Flash (CF) card?

Do you really need a 128 xD card - money better spent on a larger CF card, perhaps a fast 1GB Sandisk Ultra II or a Transcend 45x or even a portable hard drive device like the Xs-Drive Pro.

Lose the A/C adapter - get a card reader or better still the Xs-Drive Pro which acts as a card reader (all popular memory cards except xD) and has a portable hard drive. If not, get extra NiMH batteries with the money you save.

If you can afford it get the Inon D-180 strobe - it's a beauty - instead of the S&S YS-25.

Re: the remote it comes as standard in some countries (e.g. USA) and not in others (e.g. Australia and Japan). I don't have one but I believe it is a worthwhile accessory.

question are you planning on using the T-Con 17 underwater ?? or on land,

if on land be sure you have the correct step up ring to do so and make sure its a good one because that lens is heavy. as when using this set you camera to overexpose by about 1/2 a stop to gorrect for the light loss from that lens

Tooth

Sodgaard:

1) Initially:
C5050 standard package.
AC Power cable
128 MB XD card
512 MB Smart card
RM-1 remote control

2) Option
PS-25 DX #16980
4 extra NiMH batteries
DX base stay #21130
DX arm #21140
optic sync cable

3) Option

the fl-40 can be an expensive flash, the fl-20 is a good/better budget flash that does everything the 5050 needs

I have another teleconverter: Raynox DCR 1850 Pro which produce good results - much better than a crop out of a SHQ-resolution image - but not as good as a decent 200 mm SLR fixed lens! The TCON-17 should be as good from what I have heard. (Since the camera measures TTL, there is no need to compensate for the light loss except when shooting manually with non-TTL flash.)

The CLA-5 lens adaptor is in fact the CLA-1 plus a 43->55 step ring so you should have that kit if you get the TCON-17.

I am using the AC power cord when taking studio shots because that is the only way to prevent the camera from entering the sleep mode (saving power) after 3 minutes. I also use it when downloading the pics to the computer straight from the camera. No card reader needed but the camera is stuck at the computer while downloading - go for coffee - no time lost!

The remote control is also used for rigged shots like studio or when shooting through my spotting scope.

Two sets of 2300 mAh batteries are enough for the camera if you have a fast charger.

Cheers, Jens.

Back
Top Bottom