C5050 Owners Question about lens and zoom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubatooth

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
was playing with my c5050 tonight and was wondering if a somewhat rachetty len was normal during zoom operation. Is this a normal thing for a new camera while its still wearing in or what, because my other digital is totally smooth throughout the zoom range.

tooth

Tooth...that's one of the common questions asked about the 5050. Answer is everyone has noticed the extra noises and they are normal. I know mine is louder than my 4040. Just make sure you haven't forgotten to remove the lens cap, that can really mess up the gears.

ok so its a normal sound for it be noisy and not so smooth in operation, thats fine with me as i really dont you the zoom all that much. Well thats good to know it takes a load off my shoulders, as i thought maybe i had damaged my camera from it being in my camera bag this week.

also having played with my 5050 this week, all i can say is that i see alot of potential with this cam as im goingto be able to do alot with this cam above and below the surface.

thanks for the heads up on the lens cap, as i have done that so many times, especially in events where im switching cams from one to another i will cam it and then go grab it to take a shot and have to stop and take the cap off

well im goingto get some ZZZ's so i can get up in the morning and take care of some prints im delivering in the morning for the camp im the webmaster of, but i will be on late morning to finish up some posts i have promised and to deliver the actions i promised, and Dee im working on the details of doing masks in PSE for you so that you can do the shirt. if you dont mind me asking is this a shirt design for the swampers ?

tooth

No, it's a design for our trip shirts for the Roatan trip in April. I've got some time yet, I just don't want to put it off until the last minute. So don't rush....next week is soon enough! :tease: If you help me get what I have in my mind, there's a free T-shirt in it for ya!

BTW....If you think you may have damaged your camera, have someone familiar with the 5050 look at it/Listen to it. They are noisier than the other models but still shouldn't sound like a bucket of bolts!

i dont think i damaged it but i will record it and post it to let you al listen to it. the zoom is no louder then the sound of the lens extending or retracting

tooth

Dee:
Just make sure you haven't forgotten to remove the lens cap, that can really mess up the gears.

Dee,

I've done this about 6 times already. I am so used to cameras where there is no manual lens cap to remove. I hope there is no damage yet.

rad21:
Dee,
I've done this about 6 times already. I am so used to cameras where there is no manual lens cap to remove. I hope there is no damage yet.

I hope so, too! From what I understand it's very expensive to fix and is probably not covered under your warranty.

Hi,
A suggestion for you...
Order the Tiffen extender (~$14 USD) and a UV filter (~$20 USD). Also...a generic lenscap to fit the extender with filter mount (~$2 USD). The extender basically screws into the base of the 5050z lens assembly and allows the use of various filters and external surface lenses (OLY WA etc). At full extension the 5050z lens barrel will NEVER contact the surface of the outer filter. This little ~$30-40 USD investment will protect your lens from damage and ensure no further worries about the lens cap. And...since the extender HAS to be removed for the camera before going into a housing you will never forget....cool right?
Ted

<edit>
I forgot to mention that you should have a clear/UV filter mounted on ANY decent camera to protect the lens. Unless of course you like having dusty scratched glass giving you artifacts on your images/photos !

Ted, any idea what the part/model numbers are for the extender and UV filter? And,where they can be bought. I haven't done this yet, but I can see where it could happen rather easily.

Thanks,Tommy

Back
Top Bottom