C5050 housing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Why is the Light&Motion Tetra 5050 so much more expensive than the pt-015? Is it really that much better that it warrants a $1200 difference in pricing. Does anyone have a Tetra 5050? When I go to buy a housing to protect my c5050,the pt-015 @ +/- $200 to protect it is kinda scary after reading some of the leakage probs. But, the the Tetra retails for $1499....I'm getting that much better of an O-ring??? Do they use an o-ring system or is it different?

You really can't compare the Tetra or Ikelite housings to the Olympus housings. The Tetra is made much better and has additional feature capabilities such as an external TTL strobe connection. The depth ratings of Tetra and Ikelite are much deeper than Olympus, if that is important to you.
Olympus and Canon make housings for their cameras that are designed for the average consumer. There is nothing wrong with them if they are handled and taken care of properly.
I think one of the important questions is do you want to spend $1500. on a housing for a $500. camera? How often will you use it? Like many divers, once or twice a year while on a dive vacation? Will the Oly or Canon housing serve your needs? If so, why spend that money if you are satisfied with the capability of the Oly or Canon housing?
And lastly, is that $1500. housing camera model specific? It looks like that Tetra 5050 is only for the Oly 5050. So when and if that camera breaks or is no longer available (5050 already out of production) what are you going to put in that $1500. housing? Maybe you can get your hands on another 5050, maybe not. If not at some point in time you are out about $150. for the Oly housing.
Just some things to think about.

To add to what Gilligan said....The durability of the metal housing is it's biggest plus. If you're making shore entries on a rocky shoreline, you need a strong housing. There have been some problems reported with Tetras ROC system but I don't fully understand what, why, or how. Gilligan has explained it very well. $1500 for a $500 camera that will be useless if something happens to the camera. To each his own, though. Tetra users are just as pleased with their rigs as we are with our PT's.

I have the PT 15 housing for my C5050.

It's a fine housing for the price. If I was to do it again, I would buy the Iklite housing, cause it has in my opinion better buttons, a strobe synch attachement, a handle - just try to price out a handle for the PT15! - and a threaded ring to attach different lenses. It also has a deeper depth rating. I thought I would never want to take my camera below 130' but I have found myself in the odd cave where I do need to go to 160 for a few minutes till the passage becomes more shallow.

Also, Olympus wants $15.00 for 1 replacement O ring. give me a break, $15.00 for something that cannot cost more than a buck to make??

Hi,

<snip>
"The durability of the metal housing is it's biggest plus."

This is not correct. It is ONE of the benefits; however, the ROC controller is of equal or more benefit. Not to mention ergonomics. And of course overall sex appeal :D

I purchased the L&M TETRA housing for the 5050 for the following reasons:

1-$1500.00 is retail :D
2-I do a lot of shore diving and a little plastic housing is scary to me.
3-The ROC control system...while having had a couple of reported issues is a wonderful strobe controller designed to reduce task loading and let me concentrate on imaging. I can shoot either simulated TTL or instantly switch to manual control of my strobe without taking my eye off the target. This is really important to me as you only have a limited amount of time to get the shot...or shots.
4-Complete replication of the camera controls...with the buttons and dials in the right places...and good spacing for us large-handed types...even with gloves.
5-Have I mentioned I am not wild about plastic (alright...polycarb)?

I can understand your point of view...however...comparing the L&M housings with OLY/IKE is...IMHO...comparing Hyundai...Ford...and Porsche with the appropriate price structure. The ROC issues that have been reported are circuit board-related...hey...electronics can have issues...and the circuit boards involved are user replaceable.

When I invested in the housing I am also investing in freezing the technology I use at that moment in time. Sure it is model specific...but who cares. When I get home I will get to dive AT LEAST 2x/week in photo friendly waters :D!!! I also know my personal tolerance for technology obsolesence (probably SIC) and know that I will want to upgrade to a DSLR in 24-36 months (after the "early adapters" help bring the price down and the firmware is nice and stable). So for the next 2-3 years I am covered...and there will be no shortage of spare 5050's that I can grab cheap from folks jumping from camera to camera :D

In the end it does come down to personal preference and obviously...budget! I considered the OLY and IKE housings but decided on the TETRA based on my requirements. I also do not think of it as housing a $550.00 camera.....I think of it as housing my priceless (at least to me) images :D

Thanks everyone for the replies,but I must argue a point. Although the C5050 is a $500 camera,if it floods in a PT-015,the camera has just become a $1000 camera. Also,no one answered this(or I missed it), is the Tetra an o-ring system? If it is,then the PT-015 is the way to go for me.Thanks again.

I like the Ike housing that I have for my 5050. Middle of the road in price, not THAT much more than the PT015, and IMHO much better put together and easier to handle underwater, given the handle and strobe attachment point.

Genesis:
I like the Ike housing that I have for my 5050. Middle of the road in price, not THAT much more than the PT015, and IMHO much better put together and easier to handle underwater, given the handle and strobe attachment point.
I have to agree, my ike is great, all controls work perfect and I feel confident when it hits the water. The tetra was a bit out of my range, while propably the best for the camera, I just could'nt swing it.

MosheDyan:
I also do not think of it as housing a $550.00 camera.....I think of it as housing my priceless (at least to me) images :D

An excellent way to look at it! Thanks for explaining the ROC system. As I said, I wasn't sure how it worked.

Hi Dee,

<snip>
"Thanks for explaining the ROC system"

Not much of an explaination on my part...hell...I am still learning the system as you well know :D In using it dry before my wife took it home with her in November the TTL control was flawless and the ability to adjust the strobe dump on the fly manually from the housing is a very powerful feature.

"is the Tetra an o-ring system"

I am a dope. I missed that question. Yes the housing uses 2 o-rings on the rear plate (and I do mean plate) with an elegant latch system, two on the port (I have both the flat port and the wetmate adapter port), and more on the strobe hardpoints. BTW...the strobe is actually plugged into the camera...hence the TTL capability.

Give me about 45 more days and I can give you photos and tons of info when I finally get home and back into the H2O.
Hope this clarified things.
Ted

Back
Top Bottom