C5050 housing PT05 vs Ikelite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssra...Glad I have the PT-10. Depths aren't an issue with me. I want to be able to use whatever lens I wish, utilize the zoom, and not be restricted from doing so by the housing.

But, maybe I'm strange or something! :rolleyes:

Dee, I suppose for now, until I get my strobe back, I will be using the PT010 as well. I know that many people have taken the PT-010 down below 30M but I am a little nervous. I guss after my strobe flooded, it would look really bad if the camera flooded as well. :eek: When I was at Komodo, the pygmy seahorses I saw was at 39 and 41m. A German couple who came on a same trip has a Canon digital with Canon housing which was rated to 40m. They stopped at the first pgymy seahorse and did not go to the 2nd one abotu 10ft away because they were afraid that their housing might not be able to take it.
I supposed if I just have the PT010, I probably would have left the camera on the boat since I knew before the dive that I would have to go down that deep for the seahorses.

I've had my PT-10 below 40m several times. The first wasn't intentional. I was retrieving a dropped weight belt in a hurry! I felt the housing groan and pop and figured everything inside was toast! No. Everything was just fine. I started taking it a bit deeper as the days went by, deepest was to 148 with no problem. The pictures taken were great. After the second trip below 40m, the housing didn't even groan anymore.

The folks at Olympus have told me they test the PT-10's to 250ft. They never could tell me why the limit was only 30m. Decide yourself if it's worth it to you. I don't worry at all for any depths within 10m of the limits. YMMV

Dee once bubbled...
I've had my PT-10 below 40m several times. The first wasn't intentional. I was retrieving a dropped weight belt in a hurry! I felt the housing groan and pop and figured everything inside was toast! No. Everything was just fine. I started taking it a bit deeper as the days went by, deepest was to 148 with no problem. The pictures taken were great. After the second trip below 40m, the housing didn't even groan anymore.

The folks at Olympus have told me they test the PT-10's to 250ft. They never could tell me why the limit was only 30m. Decide yourself if it's worth it to you. I don't worry at all for any depths within 10m of the limits. YMMV

I've been once (intentionally) at 50 m with P-015 and several times between 40 and 45 m. I believe that main O-rings are not the problem. Probably button O-rings are more sensitive and more likely to fload. However, I avoid ofter diving beyound housing limits and take special care when preparing it for such dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom