C4 or C4 eLED?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubastud16

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone tried both? I have a regular SL4, and it was MUCH brighter than a Princeton Tec Miniwave non-LED. I was shocked at the difference!

Anyone got thoughts?

Go for a LED one, you'll see the difference under water. Normal light, such as SL4 produce a kind of yellow light compare to LED, it's bright white.

I'm upgrading my scouts from the SL4 standard to the SL4 LED.

Michael

Just bought a Princeton Tech miniwave LED, and dived with someone using a UK Sl4. Although the SL4 had a more focussed yellowish beam, the LED was MUCH brighter blue/white beam.

Thanks for the help. The person I was next to did not have an LED, so that may be the difference!

Thanks again!

The bulb version will be much brighter than the LED version because it comsumes more power to make the light. It also wastes a lot of battery power by heating up the filament in the bulb. That means it goes through the batteries/charge much quicker.

The LED without a power conditioning circuit will appear brighter than the eLED version during the first part of the charge. The fall off will be dramatic and huge toward the end of the charge. The eLED version will conditionthe current so that the power output of the LEDs remains relatively constant throughout the charge.

LED = brighter at first, then fast dimming before lights out.
eLED = less bright at first, long light out put overall and far less dimming toward end of charge.

BTW, my vote is for the eLED version with rechargeable NiMH batteries (available at HomeDepot or other box box harware store).

Ian

I have a SL4 eLED and it outshines by far my girfriends regular C4. Go for the eLED... you won't regret it...

Back
Top Bottom