C-cards or log books?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Upon retrospect, I can see how the log book wouldn't be the best idea. I actually met someone that would split his dives into two dives if they were longer then 30 minutes. Made it look like he had more dives than he actually had.

I have seen this too. I look at bottom time to date as well as dive numbers...

It is the same on this site as well. How many people say they have thousands of dives when they may have a few hundred. I for one can't tell you how many dives I have. I stopped logging dives in the early 90's. Just do the math many people say they have thousands of dives so if the average diver were to dive every other day for 20 years, they would have 3650 dives. I would say most people on this forum do 3-5 dives a month or maybe less. So now you are looking at more like 50 years to reach 3,000 dives. Its the digital age of instant gratification so if I have more logged dives than you I must be a better diver???????? I am waiting for the computer app for log book generator that will kick out 1000 various logged dives in the blink of an eye.

"
A log book might merely say "I had a pen and some free time."

In aviation this used to be referd to as "P 51 Time" in refrence to a certain pen that shared it's designation with the famous fighter.

I once lost an electornic log book, there went 100+ dives, delete. Last summer i lost a paper log with about 50 dives. A c-card showes my training, a log book shows my experience. Why not carry both. I do mostly wreck dives unless I'm on vacation. My log book has come in handy many times when my husband disagreed about something we did on a wreck. I can tell him if the descent line is on bow or mid ship, the opening to the engine room is on the starboard toward the stern. I record how much weight I used in sea water along with my current weight and equipment. I also record if I had a good dive or if I had a problem and how to correct it next time.

Instructors / Shops can typically provide temporary cards that will suffice while your card is being processed.

At issue here though really is the fact that your instructor abdicated his responsibility to properly deal with your paperwork. A log book is not proof of training.

If this was a PADI instructor, the standards are clear:

2. As the certifying instructor, submit a PIC (Positive Identification Card)
envelope or leadership level application to the appropriate PADI Office
within seven days of the student diver completing all course certification
requirements. The only exception is if the delay is caused by the student (i.e.
the student does not submit a photograph, etc.).
Note: If necessary, you may submit a PIC envelope without a student diver photo. Your
PADI Office will store certification information, but will not generate a certification card. To
receive a card at a later date, the diver will be charged the standard replacement card fee
for this service

Cards are it! Log books can easily be faked! Wasn't there someone talking on here about a guy he knew that would "pad" his log a few years back...basically calling each time he descended and ascended a "dive"!?!?! (i.e. he descends and ascends two or three times during ONE dive and counts it as three?)

As far as I'm concerned, a 99 ft. dive is NOT a 100 ft. dive!

You're only fooling yourself!

My club makes cute logbooks with 40 entries in each. That limits my losses to 40 dives. I also scan my logbook periodically so I've got a good backup, and I can easily retrieve my last cold water dive, last 100'+ dive, last dive at such-and-such location even if it's not in my most recent logbook.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom