C-Card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but we are so much more landlocked than you are :(

Such is life

I sure understand the quandry of a prospective student who would love to get the training that Pug speaks of. But how does one know what to ask when one has no frame of reference?

Don't know why so few divers on the board mention the YMCA. It's a non-profit that often has wonderful instructors with no stake in selling gear. Can't guarantee any instructor based strictly on agency, but it is worth checking out. Ours offers a 6-8 week OW (depending on how fast the class is moving.)

Just wondering if you have to join the YMCA to take the scuba lessons?

Wyno

I think Uncle Pug's advice is spot on and so is your approach i.e. checking out all the dive shops where you live. Hope it goes well for you.

Regards

I got my cert through the YMCA and i have nothing but good things to say about them.

The OW class cost me $150 in Oklahoma City. In addition there was equipment cost and I had to spend a couple nights in a hotel when I did the 4 open water dives in Lake Murray.

Jerry

My LDS charges $140, you must supply basic skin gear (mask, fins, snorkle, boots and gloves), if you purchase the basic gear from them the cost for the class is $100. Checkout dives were in the gulf, 4 boat dives. Night at hotel was included, cost $139. As it turned out the class size was 3, instructor and asst. instructor. which allowed ample time for everyone both in the classroom and the pool. Of course, everyone at the shop loves to dive. Also, they did not want students purchasing other equipment until after training, so they would have a better idea of what would work best for them. Also you could use any equipment you wanted, regardless of where it was aquired.:)

To me that seems very hi, here at Virginia Beach the LDS I deal with you can get OW with card for $165.00. That is very different than where you went or checked into.

Rich :mean:

Back
Top Bottom