C-Card roulette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question flr those of us who are not pros. If you've got Rescue, what's better to show: Rescue or Advanced? I've been wondering about that.
Depends. If there is a night or deep dive involved - some operators might require aow for that. Others seem to respect Rescue more...

Question flr those of us who are not pros. If you've got Rescue, what's better to show: Rescue or Advanced? I've been wondering about that.
I was told by my Rescue instructor to only show AOW and Nitrox, anything else is asking for legal troubles
I totally agree with @Francesea. With Nitrox and AOW you SHOULD be able to do almost any recreational dive. If you get into any specialized dives, then you can consider bringing out the big guns.
Just my 2¢. That with about another $3.98 will buy a cup of Starbuck's coffee.

Cheers - M²

I was told by my Rescue instructor to only show AOW and Nitrox, anything else is asking for legal troubles.
No Rescue for me then!
My next and probably last cert. will be solo.

I totally agree with @Francesea. With Nitrox and AOW you SHOULD be able to do almost any recreational dive. If you get into any specialized dives, then you can consider bringing out the big guns.
Just my 2¢. That with about another $3.98 will buy a cup of Starbuck's coffee.

Cheers - M²

That's what I suspected.

No Rescue for me then!
Don't take my comment the wrong way. I think every diver who has the ability to certify as a rescue diver owes it to themselves to do so. I just don't think you need to present that C-card to go diving.

Cheers - M²

Don't take my comment the wrong way. I think every diver who has the ability to certify as a rescue diver owes it to themselves to do so. I just don't think you need to present that C-card to go diving.

Cheers - M²

Fair enough.
It does sound like it would be a worth while course to take.

Leaving c-cards out of the discsussion. I suspect that most of would agree that a Rescue class is perhaps one of the most useful classes for a recreational diver. The skills provide an spatial awareness and understanding of safe diving and the ability to think through and solve potential,problems before they occur.

Edit: a Rescue diver cert is always welcome as a customer on a SE Asia LoB or at a resort. With Nitrox, you are totally good to go.

Last edited:
Thanks, I was not doing well there for a while, but I am fully recovered.

Thal, that is great news that you are fully recovered.

No Rescue for me then!

pls remember....when it comes to training the idea is to take courses with an instructor that will make you a better / safer diver. it is not just to collect which cards you think will get you a seat on a better boat going to better dive sites.
if you take a good rescue course with a good instructor it will def make you a better and safer diver / dive buddy in the long run. i also believe if you do a solo course with a good instr it will also make you a better and safer diver / dive buddy in the long run. that is reason enough to do it. your experience, your confidence, and your abilities in the water is what will determine if a dive shop will take you to the more advanced dive locations, not the plastic card in your wallet.
example.....i took a TDI cavern course. i did not take it because i needed that c-card to go cavern diving. any OW diver is technically allowed to dive the cenotes in mexico with a guide. i took it to learn skills i could not learn at home from an instructor that is at a level not found where i live. and it was the best course i ever took. it completely changed the way i dive. it changed the way i approach diving and the way i see other divers. it changed everything about scuba for me. it is what got me interested in sm diving and also gave me more confidence in pursuing my instr level.
so in my opinion, good quality training should be the reward in itself. and it may lead you places you never thought you would go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom