C&C: test shots with Oly SP-550UZ/PT-037

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jigo, try black tape... Looking at how the reflection shows, you might just need to do it on the top of housing or as someone else recommended find a way to isolate the strobe from the lens.

I had a similiar issue with my video camera behind a dome port and a thin strip of tape around the lens did the job.

Happy shooting... :D

I agree with the black tape suggestions above.

I'm considering picking up the same package as yours after several years with a Canon S500 and the Canon case. Still looking for some detail on the PT-037, maybe you could help out? Can you extend that big bad lens all the way out in that case? What's the black plastic square thing on the front of the housing? Any chance you could post a side view picture of the housing? Are all buttons brought out through the housing?

Any additional thoughts on your setup?

the lens can be fully extended inside the housing. but full zoom is pretty useless underwater. the black rectangle up from is the lens cover. the housing lens port is reactangular. probably to allow for better wide angle shots. all buttons in the camera have corresponding buttons in the housing so you get full control. will try to post pics.

i think there's an oly sp-560uz out now thats supposed to have a wider lens (27 vs 28mm in 550) and longer zoom.

Don't bother painting your camera. While at DEMA I was working with one of the sales reps on this problem. He actually used a sharpie to blacken the front of the camera and it still made the reflection. Of course he couldn't come up with a solution except to push the camera down when putting it into the housing (037) it seemed to help but if the camera moves at all during the dive the problem is back.

I didn't see this thread earlier, someone has put a good idea on my thread so I'm going to try it and see what happens.

The thread is titled 550 037 housing relection. I'm taking a trip in two weeks, if the problem is solved dry (which I'll test tomorrow) and wet I'll report it back on both threads.

Back
Top Bottom